best place for OEM parts for engine

discomikey

My version....

IMG_0504.jpg

I think when I fitted it I actually used capheads, not the hex heads, but still, I can at least remove the ladder frame without having to remove the gearbox!

By comparison the stupid GlenCoyne way gives you this...

DSC00264.jpg

which equates to this....

2012-03-15_17-50-56_23.jpg

Completely impossible to remove the ladder frame, and so a simple job like changing the oil pump or even just resealing the ladder frame to block should it fail, means removal of the engine or the gearbox.

Incidentally, Disco 200 to Defender LT also has the same problem....

2012-04-05_17-13-15_515.jpg

2012-04-05_17-12-57_846.jpg

not quite figured out my answer to that yet....

EJP thats exactly what i did. the LT version looks a little more complicated though. i know LR put those webs in for a reason, but is there any way of removing just enough, and using some smaller headed allen bolts? would it still be strong enough do you think?

right, so the rebuild is well underway, head off, bottom off pistons out, head stripped and clean but still soaking in diesel in the parts washer,

bottom end bearings were okay but you could tell they'd done some miles.

onto bore honing, and just a quick question.

ive borrowed a bore honing tool. and its got medium cutting stones, so i started on cyl 1, using some SAE30 as a lubricator, and its giving a nice cross hatch look, but you can feel it if you run your finger down it when cleaned up of all swarf, is that right? and do i need to then clean it up with a finer set of stones?

Also, what should i clean the head face with? its got the usual gasket marks on and they wont just scrub off even after being soaked for 24 hours in diesel.

can i use a very fine sandpaper, and if so what grade?

pictures to come later on when i upload them all to brians thread.

Diy honing sets are carp... Because of one of them things in someone elses hands i had to have my block rebored. The managed to remove 5 thou from each bore, glaze busting takes a few tenths out.

After boring and standard honing, engine blocks are plateu honed to give the correct finish... The brushes for this are around £200 each.