best place for OEM parts for engine

discomikey

so i will be buying the bits to rebuild my 200Tdi in the next week or 2.

and ive been looking at a couple of places for parts.

now i only want to do this once, so i will only be going for genuine/ known good brands

so whats the best website to get bits from that wont come in a blue box.

i took a look at turner engineering and they seem to give a choice such as Elring gaskets (ive heard these are good) and kolben schmidt rings (OEM)

and they generally seem to give good descriptions as to what you will be getting, although not, it seems, for the main and big end shells.

looking at their other descriptions i guess they wont send me blue box, although i could be wrong anyone had any experience from them?

ive also been pricing up on brit-car, and they seem to be a little more expensive for the same stuff. also for 200 engine parts, its unclear what manufactured parts you will get, their normal system seems to be vague for 200 engine parts.

so i will be buying the bits to rebuild my 200Tdi in the next week or 2.

and ive been looking at a couple of places for parts.

now i only want to do this once, so i will only be going for genuine/ known good brands

so whats the best website to get bits from that wont come in a blue box.

i took a look at turner engineering and they seem to give a choice such as Elring gaskets (ive heard these are good) and kolben schmidt rings (OEM)

and they generally seem to give good descriptions as to what you will be getting, although not, it seems, for the main and big end shells.

looking at their other descriptions i guess they wont send me blue box, although i could be wrong anyone had any experience from them?

ive also been pricing up on brit-car, and they seem to be a little more expensive for the same stuff. also for 200 engine parts, its unclear what manufactured parts you will get, their normal system seems to be vague for 200 engine parts.

Out of curiosity what is the reason for the rebuild? Age/mileage or failure? How much of a rebuild are we talking? I'm just being nosey....

They have an on-line text chat facility, I suggest you ask them a few questions. I found this service very useful indeed.

Julian.

Out of curiosity what is the reason for the rebuild? Age/mileage or failure? How much of a rebuild are we talking? I'm just being nosey....

the rebuild is for peace of mind more than anything, its done around 180k now, and although well looked after (genuine filters, almost new cambelt before i replaced it again and regular servicing) i have seen the bottom end bearings out of a 160k engine and they, while not massively worn, were bad enough to make me think what mine were like, also over the last couple of weeks it has not burnt oil as such but at a high tickover, there is a faint occasional oil smoke wisp from the exhaust.

rebuild extensivity will be bottom end bearings, rings, main bearings, headgasket, valve stem seals, bore hone and a good clean/service so not a full rebuild but a good "seeing to".

also i think that the towing it does, and long periods of high speed cruising cant be good for the bottom end, AND... it would benefit to have a nicely rebuilt bottom end, and run in before i go ahead and possibly stick a VNT on it.

They have an on-line text chat facility, I suggest you ask them a few questions. I found this service very useful indeed.

Julian.

thanks julian, will look into that.

My 200Tdi is currently sat at Wards Engineering in Rugby. I know Richard wont sell you junk, might be worth giving him a call.

and again thanks vulcan, i will also look into that too.

yes i will fully document (if i remeber to take pictures haha)

unsure wether i will do it before i return to uni, (although i need it) or when im back there.

which leaves me 3 options

• do it in the workshop on the ramp quick
  • get a lift to uni then get a lift back to do it one weekend after uni starts and blast it out
  • OR do it on the drive at my student house.. which isnt really an option when i have a ramp at home.

either way it will be done sooner rather than later

Rest assured, Turner Eng will not sell any substandard parts. They sell the same parts they use in their own engine builds, for which they have an excellent reputation.

forgot to mention, engine will stay in the land rover during the "seeing to"

well... most of it...

forgot to mention, engine will stay in the land rover during the "seeing to"

well... most of it...

the engines coming out or your not replacing the bottom end.

I had the bad news of needing a rebore this afternoon.. Not through wear but because of some previous mug with a diy honing set.

the engines coming out or your not replacing the bottom end.

I had the bad news of needing a rebore this afternoon.. Not through wear but because of some previous mug with a diy honing set.

ive done it before, i will do it again. same engine type. you just need to push the main shells around the crank journals with the crank dropped down a few mm. usually this requires turning said crank and you have to make sure that you arent pushing the locking tabby bit round as that could damage something.

ive done it before, i will do it again. same engine type. you just need to push the main shells around the crank journals with the crank dropped down a few mm. usually this requires turning said crank and you have to make sure that you arent pushing the locking tabby bit round as that could damage something.

And how do you get around the ladder frame?

the bolts which are normally counterbored and then hidden behind the bellhousing on a normal conversion are just normal bolts which go through the bellhousing flange just like all other engine-bellhousing stud/bolts. which means i dont need to split the engine and box to get at them.

if you mean flywheel housing to ladder frame bolts, mine are not hidden behind the bottom face of the bellhousing, as they go through the bellhousing flange just like the other bellhousing to flywheel housing bolts.

when i did my conversion i thought that i may need to do some work on the engine, and carefully marked and drilled the bellhousing in order to fit these ladder frame bolts through it, just like discovery fitment.

You did the sensible thing then like me, and ignored GlenCoynes stupid advice to counterbore the holes in the flywheel housing, meaning you have no choice to remove engine or gearbox when you need to do bottom end work. I recently enquired about and bought a disco flywheel housing so I could do the same to my series bellhousing by drilling through and a lot of folks couldn't understand what I was trying to do....I meant to post the pictures and never got around to it...I'll dig them out later now you've reminded me.