Lazy fuel gauge

Josh NZ

Hey folks

I recently acquired Land Rover number 2, a 1970 series 2a SWB with black dash, temp/fuel gauge etc. The fuel gauge is lazy and only reads a quarter full, even when I fill the tank completely. After the tank drops past a quarter it drops accordingly which is ok for the moment as its measuring the most critical part. I understand these gauges are voltage stabilized also, duff regulator maybe? Also, the vehicle has had the motor replaced and it's wired in positive earth with a dynamo. Should I repolarise to negative earth? The battery charges nicely as it is now and I don't want to go messing around and bugger it.

I cleaned the sender spade and tried again but to no avail. Anyone know what the story is here?

P.s when I pulled the contact off the fuel gauge dropped right off to the stopper so it seems to work in that respect.

Mine was doing a similar thing. Pulled the sender out and it was not lined up properly so as the float was pushed up when filling with fuel it would catch on the side of the tank and read at about a third of a tank, then like yours it would start reading again as the tank emptied.

This was my fault though as I hadn't put the sender in straight after fiddling with things. Might be worth checking on yours but I haven't had mine back in running order since I 'rectified' this problem so not completely sure I've fixed it.

I've just replaced my voltage regulator. Fuel and temp were reading and then steadily creeping to the top of their ranges. There are a few threads if you do a google search but from what I read:

First thing to do is put the wire to the sender to earth (by passing the sender). If the gauge goes to full you know its working.

Next lift the sender out (easy in a 109 pick up) and with it connected move it through the full range and see if the gauge moves accordingly.

If that all seems ok its probably the regulator. Take the dash apart and stick a tester on it. Mine had 12v going in and a whole range from 0v>12v coming out.

New one bought and fitted this afternoon and its all working. Shame the speedo has stopped again....