90 brake options

GW8IZR

Hi

Just looking at some options here, my early 4CYL 90 (300TDI) is slowly coming together now and I'm just plumbing the brakes. Its currently got an elderly imperial RRC rear axle with disks but I may put a metric Discovery axle under it, no matter - it will still be disks.

Servo is an NRC4772 and master cylinder is currently NRC9529

The master cylinder is probably going to be replaced but I want to keep the setup as close to standard as possible including the now refurbished and working G-Valve.

Last time I drove this setup the engine was a V8 and the rear brakes did lock up under heavy braking or wet greasy roads which wasn't ideal but then I was fifteen years younger and a bit braver back then :-)

I had thought about using 110 front callipers as the bigger piston diameter should increase the pad pressure and up the fluid volume required a bit - thus making the front/rear bias a bit closer to how it should be.

Whilst there are lots of threads on the 'tinternet about this none seem to be definitive so I'd like to canvas opinion here from those that have been there, done that, got the skinned knuckles to show for it please.

TIA

Regards Paul

post 1991 vehicles used the same bigger piston calipers [110 type] it was done to rationalise the brake parts range for Defenders. vented disc up front would be a good move, they won't make you stop quicker but will disappate any heat build up quicker than solid disc.

Thanks Ralph that is good information. Now I guess thats after the master cylinder changed to a later number as well?

I wonder if the later MC will fit the earlier servo.I haven't checked yet that the bore and stroke of the MC is the same but ISTR later ones had two outlet ports for the front circuit - I'll look at the drawings now.