Series 3 axle seals

mikey7134

I know there is "axle seals" available, but wondered which ones were for which part of the axle...

I've done the diff ones,

But, ive got a black dusty/oily layer inside the brake drums, and also my hub caps had a small puddle of oil in (they're not supposed to are they?). Which part numbers do i want for seals to cure all these leaks.?

I imagine fronts should be similar, if not the same..?

Also, would you reccomend replacing bearings while im in there? They do not feel worn, but is it worth doing?

Cheers

If you've got it in bits then change the bearings.

The splines should be oiled to prevent wear. There should be a felt washer at the end to seal them, and an O ring on the drive flange for the hub cap. There are seals at the back of the hub to keep the interface between hub and stub axle sealed, there are also seals in the end of the axle tube to keep axle oil and swivel oil seperate.

Cheers.

Is there a filler point for hubs? Or is it fill / half fill with oil when assembling, and hope it dont leak out?

I realise it may be a bad move, but am going to leave the bearings for now.. (Landy is costing enough already :/) and when they start to go i will change them. Instead of changing now and scrapping bearings which may have a lot of life left.. It has only done 50,000 miles anyway.