The 1986 - 1990 Turbo Diesel engine -

Thanks again for all the advice - been busy visiting garages and private sellers with my list

of wants and the various checklists I've been sent - helped me spots a few sheds and ones that appear over priced.

I have spotted and done a visit today to what appears to be a good older F reg 90 - 120k on the clock - loads of supporting paperwork and physical evidence to show the old girl has been looked after through her life - the chassis is in very good condition (waxolyed from day one and repeated at various points by one very diligent owner) - the current owner uses it as a local run around and makes sure she gets all the servicing and repairs required.

Rear cross member is a bit rusty but not bad - bulkhead looks and sounds ok - a bit of filling but not much - its just been serviced and MoT'd

Overall against my checklists it does very well - yes the body work up top has a few bangs and scratches and maybe a respray may be in order at some point in the future but not urgent - there's also a small oil leak off the engine so looks genuine!!!!!!!!!!

The one query I have is that it's a 2.5T/D engine - sounds fine, no smoke on running, traction feels fine - looks ok - I just know that various peoples advice and probably historical fact is that these units are prone to die early - is this likely if the engine has been well maintained and driven normally.

Any views welcome - I may go back for another look at the weekend

Cheers

Mark

Ah, the marmite engine..............

At 120k you'll have to treat it as you would any other vehicle.

Could go bang tomorrow, could go on to 200k+

Pull the oil filler cap off while running ( at tickover) to see if it puffs like a steam train and check the air filter casing for oil.

This will tell you if it is pressurising the crankcase, but unless it is spewing oil out of the filler it is still no real gauge on longevity!

Treat it carefully and it'll last. Treat it badly and it'll crack pistons.

A couple of decades back a client of mine had a fleet of them. The ones that suffered premature-death were those driven by people 'familiar' with truck diesel engines - the 'stick it in top at 25MPH, floor the throttle and make it lug' brigade.

The ones that lasted came from the Petrol-engined community - change down early and keep the engine spinning freely on light throttle-openings.

Our fleetmaster resorted to fitting stickers on the speedo saying "Do not use 4th gear below 40MPH" after which engine-life increased significantly.

Using a decent (high-detergent, semi-synth) engine-oil helps too.

Treat it carefully and it'll last. Treat it badly and it'll crack pistons.

A couple of decades back a client of mine had a fleet of them. The ones that suffered premature-death were those driven by people 'familiar' with truck diesel engines - the 'stick it in top at 25MPH, floor the throttle and make it lug' brigade.

The ones that lasted came from the Petrol-engined community - change down early and keep the engine spinning freely on light throttle-openings.

Our fleetmaster resorted to fitting stickers on the speedo saying "Do not use 4th gear below 40MPH" after which engine-life increased significantly.

Using a decent (high-detergent, semi-synth) engine-oil helps too.

This is contrary to what I have been advised; I can't remember whether it was on this or another forum. I've been told to frequently give it an oil and filter change, every 5-6,000 miles, using a mineral oil. In fact, the guy got quite shirty when I asked what type of oil I should use. Nevertheless, it's due an oil change and I'll use a high-detergent semi-synth oil as it's starting to smoke quite badly, particularly on start-up.

It isn't a bad engine and it'll do 60mph quite comfortably (I don't usually drive any faster anyway). The smoking, however, is down to something sticking in the fuel injection pump that's causing it to smoke. It therefore smokes heavily on start-up but whatever is sticking frees itself once it has warmed up and the smoking becomes negligible. I know I'm going to have to do something about it and I've been quoted £200 to have the pump reconditioned. However, £200 is £200 and it could be £200 towards a 300tdi...

Turbos and mineral-oil don't generally play well together - the heat in the turbo carbonises the oil in the bearing.

Could be worth checking your valve-guide oilseals as as a possible cause of the startup-smoke?

This is contrary to what I have been advised; I can't remember whether it was on this or another forum. I've been told to frequently give it an oil and filter change, every 5-6,000 miles, using a mineral oil. In fact, the guy got quite shirty when I asked what type of oil I should use. Nevertheless, it's due an oil change and I'll use a high-detergent semi-synth oil as it's starting to smoke quite badly, particularly on start-up.

I recently bought a 90 the same age and close to same miles on a 2.5td.

Started and ran fine when i got it with a bit off a smokey start so new plugs service etc etc.

Few months and 2000 miles later started spitting oil from the back too so new turbo which i still have if your interested? ^_^

Didnt help much so called it a day on the 2.5td.

Bought it to do engine swap anyway. (Now have 300tdi in her)

The rest of the 90 was in great condition for age, inside and out look less than 10 years old (chassis hardly 5) and slowly im making it look better than new.

so far costing around £3500

Bit of a labour of love but worth it!!

All depends on how much money time and skills you have.