Sankey Trailer Project

mikesmif

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, this is my first project of this size. I want to start a Sankey build, I have bought a Mk 3 disc braked Sankey and the chassis is solid but is starting to show signs of surface rusting. So before starting the actual build I want to get the chassis in top condition. This has presented me with several dilemmas.

1.) How to prepare the chassis? Remove all fixtures and fittings or just mask them out.

2.) How to remove surface rust and existing paint? Sandblasting, sand paper, chemical (how to get into nooks ect?)

3.) How best to paint it? Spray, brush, celulose, hammerite and waxoyl.

4.) Should I just get someone to do it for? How much?

Any advice from those that have already taken on similar projects would be greatly appreciated.

Strip it, get it media / abrasive blasted and galvanised! Do what you can / have space to do yourself to save cash. Alternativley, get a cup wire brush for the 4 1/2" grinder, some overalls, protetive glasses and gloves and clean, treat paint as required.

Have fun.

Steve

Unfortunately unless you drill lots of holes in it you will not be able to get it dipped as it is closed box section, you then risk filling it up with mud. As they were made around 20 years ago if you consider the small amount of surface rust you should be fine it's very heavy gauge metal.

The trailer is not that complex I ended up removing all the bits and striping it with a wire brush and flap disk on the angle grinder then two coats of red oxide and two coats of hamerite 3 years on it is still fine.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49598&st=20

Jason.

Unfortunately unless you drill lots of holes in it you will not be able to get it dipped as it is closed box section, you then risk filling it up with mud. As they were made around 20 years ago if you consider the small amount of surface rust you should be fine it's very heavy gauge metal.

I'd agree with this. I would, however get it grit blasted after you've added any structural work. Grit blasting really shows all of the little imperfections that you might want to fix!

You could then, potentially, get it powder coated (if you can find someone that has a big enough oven) which would last forever!