Want to add coolant system to old milling machine

That is quick!!

I'm in the process of getting my bridgeport up and running. I don't have a lubrication system set up yet, so I tried using an air blast to keep the swarf clear of the tool.

It worked well, but emptied my 300L tank way too quick, and stank!

Luke

Stank? Have you got water in your compressor?

You only need a fine jet of air to blow away the swarf, the setups I've seen use a 0.75-1 mm diameter hole @ 8 bar

Stank? Have you got water in your compressor?

I use a couple of fridge compressors to generate most of my compressed air. they run pretty warm, and taint the air with a hot oil smell. The tank and pipework are regularly drained of condensation.

I had the pressure down low, but I was using the flexi-hose components etc I have ready for liquid coolant. I might add a restrictor and try again. :)

I had the pressure down low, but I was using the flexi-hose components etc I have ready for liquid coolant.

Ah, you run the risk of making your coolant into an aerosol, that'll get the legionnaires into your lungs nice and quick...

I would say you need to run it through a different pipe too the coolant...

Sorry, I should have explained better, no coolant's been through the system yet. I've got the nozzles, but have not built the rest of the system, no pump, pipework etc.

I just hooked the air line up as a test when I had a go at doing a few test cuts.

Phew.

I had an interesting experience in our milling machine at work once.

I was using a Venturi effect vacuum generator (amazing bit of kit if you ever get the chance to play) to hold down a workpiece. It worked a treat, only problem was the coolant in the machine came on by mistake and turned into a fine aerosol. It took an hour for the mist to settle and I left it another hour to be sure.

I like to run our Haas coolant with a strong 10%~15% concentrate rather than the normal 7%, for two reasons...

1. We only use it occasionally for prototypes

2. We run plastic through it more often than not.

I like to kill the bugs in the coolant with a high concentrate and it stops the table from rusting up. The plastic breeds more nasties as it tends to bunch up in the bottom of the reservoir. The guy from Castrol suggested we do this...

I also run an aerator (just like a fish tank) in the bottom as it kills the anaerobic bacteria which are particularly nasty if they get in you! (Which reminds me I haven't checked it's still running!)

A UV lamp is another good addition, but we can't have that where people are exposed to it in a work place apparently.

I hate coolant, at one of the companies I used to work at we had a hobbing machine that caught a skin bacteria, it spread from machine to machine infecting workers using it. It was horrible. Mind you they were using some cheap a*se coolant and at a stupidly low concentration so I'm not surprised.

Cheers,

Mike

Since the machine will get used pretty rarely in the grand scheme of things, I had planned to not use the machine sump, and use a seperate sealable container. This discussion in this thread is making me consider whether that will be possible with spillage etc.

If it's not, I will make it so that I can empty the sump after use and pump the coolant back in to to a sealable container, to try and keep the bug issue to a minimum.

Since the machine will get used pretty rarely in the grand scheme of things, I had planned to not use the machine sump, and use a seperate sealable container. This discussion in this thread is making me consider whether that will be possible with spillage etc.

If it's not, I will make it so that I can empty the sump after use and pump the coolant back in to to a sealable container, to try and keep the bug issue to a minimum.

Just keep the coolant dilution low (depending on the type of coolant) or simply run dry. I've said previously you only need air for most stuff and that's for clearing swarf... ;)

What coolant and concentration are you using? Also it's different if you use the machines daily as the pumps aerate the coolant.

Hysol excel I think it is, I dunno how strong we use it, my lathe has a very weak mix in it due to the amount of water I boil out of it on a hard days work.

Good point on it getting aerated/moved around every day..

Legionares:

Check system PH weekly. If it devaiates (can't remeber which way, but I can get the proceedure from work), change coolant

Check concentration and top up water/coolant to stay within recomended guidlines weekly.

6 Monthly change out coolant. Flush machine with system cleaner (that 's what is say's on the tub), then reflii with freash coolant.

I also get samples taken from the machines every 12 months and send then for testing for legonala bacteria.

Problem solved.

I've never had an issue with deramtitis, legionella bing found in samples etc.

Just need to do the same with my machines at home now..................

Adrian

Machines? Sounds like fun...

Running machines:

An old triumph colchester round head lathe (Worn)

A nice bridgeport 2HP varispeed head.

Not working:

Beaver VRPB knee mill with a faulty Anilam CNC

I'm needing a garage extention......

Adrian

Interesting reading this thread.

I'm campaigning for getting some lathe coolant for the machine at work. No one really uses it but me - and when I do it's normally worked quite hard. I've knackered a few tools by being a bit slow with the squeezy bottle and a bit ambitious with the cut size.

Given that it's used about 12 times/year, how often should the coolant be changed?

Interesting reading this thread.

I'm campaigning for getting some lathe coolant for the machine at work. No one really uses it but me - and when I do it's normally worked quite hard. I've knackered a few tools by being a bit slow with the squeezy bottle and a bit ambitious with the cut size.

Given that it's used about 12 times/year, how often should the coolant be changed?

A lathes coolant tank is much smaller than a mill, you don't really need as much as you really are only cooling 1 tooth in a very small contact area. In this case you could probably get away with a 25 litre drum and just bin it after each use?

You could get some better tools and go more gently ;)

Cheers,

Mike