Megajolt communication

Texpis

Hi All

I installed the megajolt trigger wheel and mounted the coil packs, checked it and ran it all was fine at 10 deg. I loosely installed the megajolt and it worked fine communicated with the computer all okay.

I then installed it neatly and now the megajolt seems to work because the timing changes when revved, there are no warning messages on the computer, it will write a map to the megajolt but it doesn't register revs or vacuum or the timing nothing changes on the display.

I have checked the install and all seems okay, I have a second megajolt and that is doing the same. What have I done wrong? The computer is a Panasonic tough-book with a serial port, the engine is a rover V8 in a landrover 90.

Mick

I'd try a loopback test on the serial port (can be done with a paperclip in the end of the cable between pins 2&3) to see if something's died. It would be rare, but it could be the recieve end in the laptop has died. Can you get hold of a USB-to-RS232 adapter (preferably FTDI type) and see if it will communicate through that?

You could probably also test it on another pc by rigging it to a batterypack or 12v supply or something. Just power it up, connect and suck on the map sensor (or use a syringe). If it communicates and you see the map value change you have 99.9% proved it works...

No I didnt do a loop test but I did use a different computer and a usb to serial adapter with the same results so that says its not the computer end.

Mick

Not necessarily. Do the loopback test - for the effort required to do it, it eliminates a lot of unknowns and assumptions. Really, it's the only way you can confirm that the data is getting to the end of the cable without hooking up another computer as FF has suggested.

Here's how to do it:

Open a terminal (hyperterm is the Windows standard) - set it to your USB/Serial port. Speed not an issue.

Jam something metal (paperclips work nicely) between pins 2+3

Type something - check it appears on your screen

Remove the metal thing*

Type something - check it doesn't appear on your screen

*The reason for this step is that if you have 'local echo' turned on, the computer will echo back to your screen what you type. In this case, you're looking for a doubling of what you type so it'll look like this: "tthhiiss iiss aa tteesst" if it's working correctly. When you remove the paperclip, it'll look normal.

You can then continue the loopback test with the MJ plugged and the processor pulled. Shorting the comm pins on the processor socket should give you the same results as above if everything is working correctly. If not - try on the MAX232 chip, both the input and output sides.

Hi Reckless and thaks for the reply I have done the loop test and it works fine. You last statement I need a bit more info.The processor I cant find a pin out diagram which are the comm pins? and what pins on the MAX chip? By plugged I guess you mean coms connected not powered up.

Mick

Is yours a version 4.x? If so, it's pins 6+7 on the processor socket. Check, because earlier versions have different connections.

You'll need it powered up, but without the processor in the socket. Short pins 6+7 and try the loopback test as above. If it's successful then you're talking to the processor fine and you have a software problem.

edit: (It's pins 11+12 on versions 2.x and 3.x)

Yes - must be software. Either something on the PC side or the firmware in the MJ.

I'd start by downloading a fresh version of the software, remove all traces of previous installations and reinstall.

Failing that, try re-flashing the firmware to the MJ. Having never played with MJ before I can't advise on how to do this.