Move striker plate or new lock

Firstly, just to let you know I have now acquired a defender! After lookin.g at lots, I found one in good nick, ready converted to a SW and around the price I wanted - shows patience pays off!

I'll update with pics etc soon - here's my first query ( and I have searched on the subject on the forum and can't find thIs specific issue although rear doors do appear a regular subject!)

Rear door - closes fine and appears to lock ok - however if you push hard on the back door , you feel the door move slightly further in and a slight click from the lock area and hey presto, pull the handle and the blooming thing opens!

Anyone have experience of this - is it the lock that need changing or does the striker plate need "adjusting"?

No doubt this will be the first of many post as I get to love my new machine!

Mmmmmm - trying pushing door right to and then locking but appears the same - sat inside and watched what happens and the noise you hear when the door is pressed in when it's locked is the little sliding metal piece on the inside dropping. From the top of the slot to the bottom as the door is pushed - hence it becoming unlocked - I'm sensing that means its busted and I'll need to replace

The only way to lock it is to do it from inside - that seems to stop it happening - means I'll be getting more closer to my new purchase than I thought in the next few days until new lock arrives clambering out of the back into the front after every trip!

My initiation to Landrovers I guess!

Mine did this, sometimes right after you shut it, sometimes it shut "properly" but it would pop after a while. With the engine running, the vibration used to work it until it popped and sometimes the door used to pop open while moving, which was "interesting".

Admittedly, this was after a complete rebuild that was done in a rush, so the bulkhead wasn't sat square with the tub. Also, the hinges on the bulkhead side didn't have spacers behind them which lent to the door wanting to pop open.

To fix it, I adjusted the catch, moving it out until the door shut properly. I did cheat a little by filing the holes bigger, to give me more adjustment, but now the door shuts completely and doesn't pop open. (A bodge, but a lot easier than faffing trying to get the bulkhead square by myself)