gearbox for series 3 whats the best fit for 5 speed

sussex-landy

Done on a dry dirt road will illustrate the point well without damaging anything. The steering wheel kicks continuously when turning in 4wd with a UJ eqipped axle, and the tighter the turn, the harsher the kicks. It's pretty unpleasant.

Try driving with 4wd selected on your Series transmission and feel how the steering behaves on tight corners. You will soon want CV joints.

No thats not case, as a series box has no centre diff, therfore you're effectively driving it with diff lock engaged all the time.

I agree that there is some kick back when at full lock, but frankly you only ever use full lock on the road when parking. For general driving i dont ever notice any kick at all. Dont forget that things like ford broncos came front the factory with no cv's but were permanent 4wd.

Jon

Well, 4wd works adequately with ujs, but I found that the steering started kicking at half lock. I suppose it all depends on how the steering is adjusted and any slack in the transmission and steering, but it wasn't pleasant driving around those Alpine tracks with the 4wd engaged for long periods - it was one of the principle reasons I converted a pair of coiler axles for my 109. We all have different vehicles with different characteristics, and all have different levels of comfort or tollerance with some of those characteristsics.