Range Rover Tdi 'L' Reg Headlights

Dunc

Hi Everyone,

Went to see a friend of mine this morning and whilst I was there was asked to look at the headlights on his wife's Classic Tdi.

One the way home the other day, her headlamps went off. Fog lights still work, sidelights still work, illuminated dash, main beam flash works, but no dip/main.

Naturally I checked the fuses, all ok.

Found some evidence of melting around the multiplug that goes into the main bean stalk switch, but only on one pin and not enough to mark or distort the terminal, only the plastic, and not enought to affect it easily locating.

No headlamp relay on this model it seems, only a weird 'headlamp module' which is one of those lumps of mirrors and mystery that confounds a luddite and lover of clockwork simplicity such as myself...

:wacko:

So, any suggestions?

Had this before - the connections in the headlamp switch are not soldered but rivetted from memory. When the switch was flicked to on the moving part of the switch makes contact with a brass contact which is rivetted through the PCB. With age it lifts the contact slightly breaking the connection. The flash part of the system is on a different circuit so not affected by the on/off switch hence that side of it still works okay. I soldered the contact to the pcb as a temporory repair and still works now as far as I'm aware.

Had this before - the connections in the headlamp switch are not soldered but rivetted from memory. When the switch was flicked to on the moving part of the switch makes contact with a brass contact which is rivetted through the PCB. With age it lifts the contact slightly breaking the connection. The flash part of the system is on a different circuit so not affected by the on/off switch hence that side of it still works okay. I soldered the contact to the pcb as a temporory repair and still works now as far as I'm aware.

Do you mean the main lights on/off switch on the left cowl of the steering column?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Needs a new main beam stalk happened on my 200tdi one. Exact same symptoms, only very slightly melted multiplug. But new stalk and all worked fine again.

He's right you know. Stalk = fixed.

Now that I've got a Tdi RRC myself, I still want to find a decent wiring diagram though...