Diagnosis help required after wheel bearing failure...

So, I've a bit of a tale to tell...

Off to Morocco- lots of prep work including 3 new wheel bearings, UJ's etc etc.

Had a wheel bearing failure on the one wheel I didn't do at motorway speed so pretty dramatic. Shagged the stub axle. All replaced, new seal, bearings, stub axle the works.

Since then have had a very nasty graunching noise from the front axle, so took it all apart again and replaced CV joint and checked half shaft (seems fine).

The noise is nasty and is definitely something not very happy, but there is no vibration/feedback through the wheel. Drives ok.

Now, I'm not the best mechanic in the world but I'd back myself to replace a wheel bearing every time. So what could the noise be? Unlikely to be UJ's as they look fine and are only lightly used, half shaft and CV are fine. Wheel bearings are now all new. Brakes aren't seized as checked that tonight.

Can a wheel bearing failure cause issues with the differential? That's my next port of call.

Any help appreciated. James

I'd get the front up on axle stands and rotate the wheels by hand - should help you determine the source of the noise or feel if one wheel is a bit notchy/grindy when you turn it - might have got a bit of grit or metal in the grease when you changed a bearing.

It is possible that the collapse of the stub at speed has damaged your half shaft or diff or the CV or it could be totally unrelated and be a UJ on the prop and just be coincidence. I would pull the hub apart check for twisting on the half shaft and drop the oil in the diff and check for metal bits in the oil.

Jason.

The front prop can let the front u/ j seize up and until you drop the prop it won't be found.

Well you're dropping the prop seo let's see ???

When I worked for a van hire company. We were instructed to drop all Transit props to check for u/ j sezing. Something I'd never done in ten years at a Ford main dealer.

Well, it's not the UJ's. Dropped the prop and they are fine, tiny amount of play in each but seen worse.

Took it for a drive in diff lock and the noise still happened. A lot less frequently than before though- so it's definitely rpm/load related.

Stripped down the passenger side hub tonight too (the one which didn't fail) and all seemed well. Bearings fine, stub axle good- was smooth and tight when spun (which it should be as bearings <1,000 miles old). Half shaft is fine- no spline wear and obviously not sheared.

So that all points to the diff doesn't it? Drained axle oil and no metal shards though.

I've got a freind in Bristol who has just fitted trutracks so he should have a spare 24 spline diff for me to try ( Griff, pick up your phone!)

Any feedback welcome...