superwinch capstan winch

alfmech

ok got it wrong again :(

recently aquired a superwinch lr4 capstan winch after being 'reliably informed' it was suitable for my 2a, today i decided it was time to try and fit it before the need for it arises only to discover it wont fit a series even if i choose to use a decent sized hammer.

called superwinch uk and spoke to a very helpful chap that knows these winches very well and he says its from a 90/110 and has no chance of working with its current configuration ie;- a-bar/fairlead and winch tray, as the alignment is totally out and the frame i have is for a coiler not a leafer.

my question is:

has anyone got a working capstan winch that will actually fit my series they might want to swap with mine that works fine just dosnt fit a series?

other option has anyone got the correct tray and a-bar/fairlead setup for a series i can buy at a sensible price

sadly lack of time and facilities is going to prevent me even thinking of doing that despite it being a very good alternative,

had i done the sensible thing and checked to see if it fitted rather than take someones word for it (will i ever learn?) i would have found the issues ages ago and maybe could have made something that was a reasonable impersonation of that

• 1 month later...

In my opinion this guy charges way over the odds for them but he does seem to refurbish them before sale http://www.landrover-winches.com/Parts/Winches/Mechanical_Capstan_Winches

More realistic advert from the past here

http://www.hull4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1900

and this mentions that one was on ebay for 350

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=37329

not sure if that's any help for you

As I understand it, the core of the capstan winch is the same whether fitted to a Series, RRC or 90/110. The base plate is specific to the vehicle fit. Would it not be feasible to change the base plate (or make a new one) to suit your IIA? I have a Fairey (i.e. Superwinch) capstan winch fitted to my IIA and could measure/sketch the base plate over Christmas if that would help.

You may need to customise the drive shaft set up to suit the IIA though.