Two PDWA questions

SvBeek

I have two questins about the PDWA valve in a 110.

Looking at the parts manual I see it is installed with the switch facing downwards. Mine is upwards. Could that somehow be a problem for the functioning of the device, or with brake bleeding?

Also, mine came out of the box with two brass 'adapters' attached to it, just like in this pic:

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/NRC7871.jpg

I've removed them because I assumed they were adapters for a different thread, but when they were lying on the bench I noticed the thread is the same. But dont see anyting special about them, can just peek straight trough. Do they have any function and should i put them back in?

The orientation of the switch will make no difference to it's operation.

I suspect the adapters are just spacers - perhaps a previous revision was bigger? I don't know for certain though, although I can't see why there would be anything more functional in them.

After all the switch is just a spring loaded piston with a switch to detect when it goes off centre.

EDIT: I've had another thought about what they might do!

They could be a damper / restriction. Look to see if the bore is the same through each of them? If not, make sure the one with the smaller bore connects to the rear brakes.

The idea is that when you stamp on the brakes, the front brakes are applied before the rear which helps you maintain control.

Disco's have a similar thing in line with the rear brakes.

Si

Thanks Simon

I'm thinking about putting them back in, just to be sure. Its only a minor job anyway. It came to my mind they were fitted to the original valve as well when I stripped the car a while ago. So they must have some purpose.

Ill check the bore next time Im near the garage.

Checked the bore, no visible difference. In the parts manual it says there is a regulator in the rear brake pipe section on some models to make sure the front brakes are applied first.

So maybe they are just spacers to deal with shorter brake pipes.