TD5 engine oil contaminated with 5lts of diesel !

nidge

Went to change the oil on my good ladys td5 this am and to my horror out came nearly 13lts of fluid !!!

I am aware there are issues with fuel leaking past the injector seals so that will be the first job...

Oil underneath of the engine too, hard to see where its leaking from.

But my question is there likely to be any major damage to the engine ....head maybe ??? cant have been like this for more than 5k miles, as was fine last time I changed the oil and injector harness .

Tks

Nigel

Nige,

Likely to be either the seals as mentioned or a cracked head. Mine and Jason's were cracked heads.

Damage wise, the leak is probably from the turbo pick up, it tends to leak under pressure. Also as I am sure you know the diesel washes the oil off parts like the main bearings.

HTH

Ben

Cheers fellas ...On reflection I am guessing there is a crack in the head, seams alot of diesel to be just the seals.

Changed the oil today and its still driving ok if a tad underpowered. Will monitor the oil level and see how quickly it increases.

Off to Main Dealer in the morning for new seals and washers.

N.

Hi Nidge,

Don't write off the injector seals before going for the more expensive option, the seals can leak and cause that type of extra diesel in the oil, you have to remember that the system is a high pressure one so it does not take a big leak to cause an issue. and will continue to leak once the engine is turned off, I think it is worth the gamble the garage charged me £90 to change the seals and the oil.

OK it turned out to be the head but with no way of knowing I think it was £90 well spent.

Your status does not say where you are from, I would think that both an injector seal change or worse case a head change would cost you a lot less if you got it done at a local interdependent garage.

Both Ben and I decided to go down the engine change route, both for different reasons, mine because of the clutch and Ben's because he felt the Diesel could have caused further issues IIRC, however if you do go for a new head get an AMC (Spanish) head, and also make sure they change the head bolts.

Jason.

Oh my engine change is detailed here...

Tks Jason, very helpful...Did you continue to driver yours our park it up ?

I am based in Ireland and plenty of fellas who could do the head if required. I am fairly confident its only had diesel in the oil for a short time, as I had changed the oil only 3k ago and no issues then, 5lts of diesel is alot to leak in over 3k, not including whats leaked out !!!

Searching the bay a good low mileage 15p engine seams to be around £1500, spanish head from turners and fitting kit around 1200, so not much in it , labour probably close to the same and as you say could do the clutch at the same time with engine replacement.....There goes the funds I had set aside to refurbish the 200tdi 110 :(

N.

Had the seals done today, drives a whole lot better !! Hopefully the oil now stays at a consistent level now.

The mechanic did comment on how clean the engine was !!.....well I said it would be with 5lts of diesel sloshing around in it !!

N.