Gems or Thor on a 4.6

garrycol

Thanks for the comments - I agree the carbs and exhausts are an issue - I know P38 exhausts fit on the drivers side but not sure about the left hand side.

If going to all the expense of building an engine there is no way I would stay with a 4.0 if I could do it for a 4.6 - money already spent so is a 4.6. I keep my eye out for the high range gears but haven't seen any locally for a couple of years (seperate from the transfer case that is). On gear ratios - just a typo.

A question more generally to the forum. This engine will ultimately be dual fuel runninng on petrol and LPG. When I switch to LPG and power to the injection system/MS is turned off does it still power the ignition side of things or does power still stay to the MS and it just turns the injectors off.

Thanks

Garry

Yes, and MS can switch ignition maps so you can have a separate tune for LPG.

Thanks,

I appreciate you can have different ignition maps but does MS actually switch off the petrol injectors when switching to gas or do I need to use a LPG vapour injection system with MS.

Cheers

Garry

My lpg system is a simple mixer ring job, and i use MS.

When I switch fuels it also switches fuel and ignition maps. My lpg ignition map is different to my petrol one and the lpg fuel table is full of zeroes- the ms therefore does not inject fuel when I am running on lpg.

IIRC you can do what you wish, either have a fuelling map for LPG injection systems that look at the injector pulses, or just have an empty fuelling map for single-point systems.

My lpg system is a simple mixer ring job, and i use MS.

When I switch fuels it also switches fuel and ignition maps. My lpg ignition map is different to my petrol one and the lpg fuel table is full of zeroes- the ms therefore does not inject fuel when I am running on lpg.

Thanks for that information - that was what I was hoping - as you can see I have niot investigated the detail of the MS system.

I have a dual fuel setup with dual timing maps too. The MS receives a 12V input from the LPG system that tells it to swap ignition and fuel maps. Like quagmire I set my injectors to 0 fueling when on LPG. For a bit of insurance, I also run my injector and fuel pump power lines through 'normally closed' relays. When LPG is on, these receive 12V which opens the relays, cutting power to the injectors and pump.

Slight tangent....I recently installed a Blos Propane carb for LPG...I like it a lot.

Cheers

Andre