Oil for 300TDI

Mark Adams

Probably be shot down by a tecnically orientated grown up but IMO it's Perfect! :i-m_so_happy:

Especially the thicker oil too. The lower viscosity synthetics are excellent but too thin imo for our older and poss worn 'gines and mineral is cheaper too.

Semi synths are a rip off...

Mineral is what I use but I do always change at 5-6,000 intervals :o

hth :)

A decent 15w40 is perfect. The Tdi runs too dirty to make the cost of synthetics worth while. Also change the oil often. My engine is at 308 000 kms and I change the oil at 5 and the filter at 10. A representative of the filter makers here told me the filters work better when used, but don't leave them too long.

(Oh, and I use 500 ppm diesel which is high-sulphur so it doesn't pay to leave the oil in the engine too long as it goes acidic).

My engine has done 309,054 kilometers and during its life to date has run on several types of oil, ranging from vegetable (Castrol "R") , mineral oils and various degrees of synthetic oil and to this day doesnt 'use' a single drop of oil between oil changes which are carried out every 6000 kilometers and with oil, fuel and air filters changed every 10,000 k's and I can honestly say the enviroment here in Oz is far more abrasive, dusty with greater temperatures variations than you will ever experience in the UK.

A good quality 15w40 is perfect, old tractor engines such as ours just dont get to strain themselves hard enough to burn it and if they do then an engine overhaul is called for. The most important lubricated component on our engines is the turbo, at 18,000 rpm it need lots of CLEAN oil flowing through it to lube and coo, the shaft, shaft bearings and seals.

Incidentally now with the compulsary inclusion of 10% ethanol in commercial diesel in NSW Australia I now drop 250ml of 2 stroke oil in my 135 litre tank at every second fill, ethonol is, or can be abrasive but it readily mixes with 2 stroke and the 2 stroke oil makes up for the drop in natural diesel lubrication, being 2 strike its designed to burn cleanly and doesnt leave any residue. You might want to think about doing the same if you use fuels with ethanol addatives.