Putting RR classic leather seats with electric adjusters into defender

Anyone any experience of fitting Range Rover Classic leather electric seats into a defender 110? I have bought the seats and checked the electrics and motors on them and they are good to go. I have a complete wiring harness for the driver side but the passenger side front is missing a wire. Its the memory type but I dont intend using that part of the wiring. I could cobble together a switch pack for it but I have tried to source a replacement with no luck.

The base mounting runners will need welding or bolting to a seat heightening rail for fitting to the seat box but that is a job I can manage.

Anything else I should know about before I go for it?

Eric

To high and to wide, you would need to remove the center seat or cubby box for a start. I have seen a Range Rover rear seat fitted to the front.

You may be able to do it but not sure how low you will be able to get the seat to the seat box, let us know how you get on if you go for it.

Tried it and failed....

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76920&hl=

If you raise the seat up to fit the quad motor assembly in, the seat will be too high. Only way you'll have success is to hack up the seat box, or cut and re-weld the motor set to make it lower profile.

Either way...your better off getting different seats. Also try and find spares for these seats! If something breaks you'll need to buy a spare seat for spares.

Just been checking out your rebuild. Impressive stuff.

I reckon cutting a dip in the front of the seat box and rivetting a sheet of ally to the bottom of the seat mounting plates will do it. At the lowest setting I just need to make a trough of about 3cm. Flattening out the slope of the seat box with triangular cut box profile will allow the seat to run backwards to its maximum without fouling on the bulkhead upright.

I was about to start renovating my bulkhead too but I have had an offer of a complete bulkhead and dash for £500 so I will just replace it and sell the old one.

Yeah that is pretty much what I started doing on my seatbox...then i found 2 broken cables on the seat, started looking for spares and failed miserably...so went back to peugeot 306 seats...lovely and comfy, will upgrade them to the alacantara style when I get a chance.

If your changing your bulkhead keep your aye out for a galvanised one, fit and forget then!

The passenger side seat is identically wired and motorised but because the wiring loom is not going to be connected it will serve as a parts reservoir for the drivers side if I need parts.

The bulkhead is out of a 2012 puma so I reckon corrosion wont be a problem for a while but I might go the whole hog and strip it down and galvanise it if its not already. do LR fit galved parts these day?

The seat will be set slightly inboard, the handbrake cable will feed into an ammo box bolted into the central seat/cubby position with the handbrake handle bolted to the front of the ammo box, giving me a pretty bomb proof cubby and a flat surface to lay stuff on. I wont get cramp putting the brake on any more.

I have already swapped out the old massive steering wheel for a 14 inch one and low profile boss.

I will be getting some series two part doors to replace the completely naffed doors on there at the moment. I hate winders and the mechanism makes the door profile deeper so giving less space in the cabin. I am tall and wide so any gains in space are a big plus.

Eric

I have personally never tried car seats in a Defender that I did not hate but some people seem to like them. My friend Mark fitted some (SAAB I think) seats to his 110 by modifying the seat box and managed to get them low enough as well as gaining some useful, accessible storage underneath. See here - http://forum.innovate4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3064&st=80.

Chris

Yeah, I gathered that. If I cant get it to work without major surgery, I'll sell the dash and fabricate my own from GRP and steel inserts.

I have been toying with the idea of removing the passenger side seat all together, cutting away the seat box from that side and and leaving room for access to rear seating and my sleeping cabin. I would only have to make up floor panels and take away the rear bulkhead.

There cant be any rules about having fewer seats, can there?

I don't see many people coming with me to firtle around in farmers fields anyway, so I can use the extra space to make up an angled cockpit with controls and radio/ipad/supplies/jaffa-cake holders.

Eric