2.5 TD Turbo sometimes stays on?!

My friend picked up his 90 today. Ive been working on it for the last couple of weeks. I went out on a test drive with him, but when we got back to the workshop and the engine was idling, i could also hear the turbo whirring away like crazy?!

What could cause that?

I have done a search but cant see any info on turbo's. I have no idea how they work, or how they switch on or off.

Any pointers gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

At a guess it will either be an air leak, although would do well to hear it at idle, or slightly worse a dodgy bearing, allowing the turbines to touch the housing and causing the squeak.

Can check the first with some soapy water in a spray bottle and the second by removing intake pipes and feeling the compressor for lateral movement and witness marks on the housing

Hope this helps

James

The sound is very much like an electric motor spinning, but very fast and very loud. Bonnet was open, and it sounded like it was coming from the turbo. I now realise that it is unlikely to be the turbo.

Whatever was spinning, sounded like the motor of cheap hairdryer spinning at a speed faster than it was designed to. whatever it was, it sounded like it was stressed, and was about to let go.