Wheel spinning

coachman

I managed to get out for a play in the snow yesterday ( the memsahib )had gone grand daughter sitting .I was driving around a field and was rising a slight incline and although I had selected diff lock the front wheels started to spin with no drive to the rear while the front was spinning , and I stopped and stuck ,It was only experience that got me out .Okay the field was wet ,I was up to the rims ,on a incline /upward slope ,but I thought this diff lock would prevent all this spinning . The vehicle is an L reg 300tdi Discovery Auto , I have done the same field in my 2002 Freelander td4( with T.C )and no trouble .Is it the vehicle or more likely ME. Coachman .

You'll probably find the diff lock isn't locking? If the front and rear axles are 'locked' together, you can't have both wheels spinning on one axle and none on the other. You might have been spinning the front right and rear left (just as an example)... that can't be helped by having a single centre-locking diff.

As above, also I would have thought you would have been in difflock when you entered the field, and if a wheel is spinning on both axels then you going nowhere difflock or not.

So get yourself more informed on the use of diff-lock before the a need to use it. You will find more ifo on it's use in your owners handbook and of course the www.