Importing spares to New Zealand

kshurey

Hi all

I'm at the start of a substatial refurb of a series 3 88''. I'm in New Zealand which is a lovely country but unfortunately a ridulously expensive one.

My plan is to source the majority of my parts from a single supplier (probably Paddock) and get them sent by sea down under. I've been quoted 250 quid for up to a cubic metre of space in a container which should be ample.

Has any one done this already? What are the pitfalls ?

I believe that I wont have to pay the VAT as the parts are being exported, any advice on that any one ?

Many thanks

I usually get big orders from paddocks (being in chch) and the shipping price is crazy! I'll be watching this with interest as I may need to look into it sooner rather than later!

I intend to use my own freight forwarders who will collect the order from Paddocks and send by sea, down side is that it takes 6 weeks, not a problem on a 1-2 year rebuild.

If I have any spare volume I will bring in some popular spares to sell on, this would offset the shipping.

Probably, but it will still work out cheaper, I'm hoping not to have to pay VAT on the purchase in the UK

You're buying outside of UK or EU, so no need to pay VAT for you.

I order from the UK for shipping to Malaysia, same, no VAT. You might get hit with import duty in NZ.

As you've already stated, the best option is to use a freight forwarder. They will normally have a hub in the source country where individual suppliers can send goods which they consolidate into a single shipment. They sort out the paperwork and generally choose the tariff codes to attract the minimum duty.

Even if they appear more expensive than organising it yourself, you will normally save much more on the duty and I've found they represent amazing value.

It's also easy for the suppliers as they are just shipping to a uk address and many of them offer free domestic shipping.

I've done this a lot from the US where many companies refuse to ship internationally - but are happy to send to a forwarder.

Best of all is if you can organise a group buy. The last consignment from the US cost us less than £20 each in shipping. I brought in a JD2 tube bender. Most of the others bought winches and other heavy stuff.

Si

Great idea on the freight forwarder, as Si said a lot of US companies refuse to freight outside of the continental US.

One of the Aussies on the AULRO board tried to get some shockies from Paddocks last week and they refused !

The 'dangerous goods decl. was all too had for them.

Another bloke had some sent a month ago, no problems and both sets were the same brand/part #'s.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but has Anyone had any developments on this? I would be seriously interested in doing a group buy using a freight forwarder, stated you take advantage of free mainland uk shipping charges. Or how would one go about teeing one up?