V8 starting problems

Hi Chris

Depending on what Alternator you have and engine configuration, they was a system on some of the V8's that if the starting system did not see a feed coming from the alternator it would not let the engine start ass it thought that the fan belt had broken so the water pump would not be turning and the Alternator would not work. It might be worth having a look along those lines.

Regards

Richard

That’s good to know, I found the same when I took my manifold off for the second time in two weeks, I had disconnected the Air Monitoring Valve for some reason the first time and it was still undone two weeks later, worrying thing was it didn’t seem to make any difference ?

Regards

Richard

they was a system on some of the V8's that if the starting system did not see a feed coming from the alternator it would not let the engine start ass it thought that the fan belt had broken so the water pump would not be turning and the Alternator would not work.

I've never heard of that before, that's quite a wacky thing for a manufacturer to want to do. How can they sense the lack of alternator movement without turning the starter to turn the belt then? :huh:

The only fail safe I know of was the one where if oil pressure dropped then the ignition is turned off- this got my brother once when he drove to college one morning in my dads 101 with a low oil level. Conked out halfway down the dead-end lane to the school :D