Series 2a wheel colour?

smokinv8

Looking to paint up some series rims i have got to go on my 1965 Series 2a, not really sure what colour they Should be but i do like the "old white" colour. What colour is that, limestone?

Fed up with the look of white 8 spokes on it when i purchased it.

Standard ex-factory colour for wheels was limestone except for body coloured bronze green models in which case it was matching green. Earlier Series 2s might have had other applications of matching body colours, I can't remember for sure.

But unlike landy-novice, I went the opposite way and the first thing I did to my green 109 2a when I bought it 37 years ago was to paint the wheels limestone! My feeling is that limestone wheels suit green body + limestone hardtop or safari roof, green wheels suit green body + green truck cab or canvas tilt.

Standard wheels and colours are smart, anything else (with the possible exception of Wolf rims) looks a wee bitty naff in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

I painted the rims on my Srs 3 109 with Rustoleum white. It goes on very easily, drys in no time and looks very smart. Not quite limestone, but I find the the dirt and odd bit of lubricant from the hubs (never sure if its oil, grease or a mixture) soon takes the edge off the extreme whiteness. Goes on very well from a brush as well.

I think it was the earlier SII Station Wagons and Truck Cabs, with their body coloured roofs, that had body coloured wheels. As far as I know, SIIAs, like the earlier rag tops and hard tops, had Limestone wheels because they got Limestone roof tops, like the later SIIIs.

Hi Snagger, I clearly remember my cousin's bronze green, early 1970 swb 2a utility hardtop was delivered new with green wheels. And although I didn't buy my own 1970 bronze green lwb hardtop until 75, I knew it from new and it too had green wheels until I sprayed them. (Naturally, both had limestone hard tops.)

Cousin went further and had the whole car sprayed limestone. We lost touch with his around 1980 and, to my amazement, I passed it last year, only twenty miles from its original home - it was the all-over limestone and the maltese cross grille which drew my attention and prompted my double-take. Happy memories.

I think you're correct about the earlier series 2s having wider application of body coloured wheels.

I have seen the light dove grey and dark bluey-grey applied to wheels and roof tops on station wagons and truck cabs in addition to the bronze and Atlantic greens. I have only seen Marine blue on truck cab roofs, but not wheels or station wagon roofs. Brown, red, yellow, bright blue and turquoise were late colours (the bright ones limited to V8s), so never had coloured roof tops or wheels.