Planning a Welsh Laning Trip

Ozyboy

Hopefully you can help with a bit of Laning advice. :ph34r:

I am planning a trip (dates TBA) this side of Xmas to Wales. Party will be estimated at 4 motors strong, All motors will have a good selection of kit, and at least 2 out of 4 will be winch equipped.

I have driven (although many years ago :blink: ) Gap Road, Strata Florida etc etc. And these 2 will be good reasons to make a trip out of it. The Strata although not technically challenging has some fantastic scenery. I’d like to make this a weekend, and therefore am looking for something like a Bunk House, fairly basic, and low cost for say 8 people, for a Friday night, and Saturday night. I have bever used Bunk Houses before.....

Plan is to travel from Yorkshire to Wales Friday night, spend the night in the bunk, and be off bright and early onto some lanes. Back to the bunk in the eve. And out again on Sunday, finishing at say 3pm to drive home (Hopefully no Yellow Taxi’s involved) back to Yorkshire.

So my questions, given its some time since laning in Wales.

 What would be your top 3 or 4 lanes to take in on a trip of this nature? Locations / Grids would be useful.

 Recommendations for a suitable venue to stay? (Contacts if you have them please). Not sure if any of these bunks do evening meals……

Suggestions welcome. Eye Thank yoo B)

Cheers

Oz

Hi mate if youre gonna do strada florida then you may as well do this lane just south of it starting at

soar y mynydd and going over to the mountain road from llanddewi brefi

Theres a youth hostel on this orpa, dont know if thats any good to you.

Alternatively in llanddewi brefi itself theres a pub called the new inn does b+b.

give us a shout when youre going down that way as i may be able to meet up with you in the area.

Llanerchindda Farm. The forum has stayed there in the past. Self service bar, maps of legal routes, muddy boots welcome etc.

Remember that there is a TRO on The Gap road preventing use for most of the year. It is open now and will remain open until Octobrer 15th. It then closes until March (IIRC).

Some time soon, rumour has it that it will be in November, the NERC bill will be made law in Wales. This will have the effect of making every RUPP into a Restricted Byway, in other words, illegal for motorised vehicles.

Do a search on the forums for "NERC" or "CROW".

Chris

Thanks Guys, The B&B looks excellent :) , and as you say muddy boot friendly..... I had heard the rumours of the planned closure etc, but i will do a search, just to be on the safe side.... Some years ago i did turn up at the Gap, and discovered its part time closure. Humbug!!! :(

Any further suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Oz

am currently planning a 3 day excursion to Wales for new year for 4 or 5 quite well prepped vehicles, but prob only one with a winch, we have accomodation sorted near abergavenny, but looking for some more lanes that will still be legal at that time... ive got the co-ordinates for strata florida and that one will deffo be on the list but anyone got any GPS refs for any others in the brecon beacons...?

cheers

m@tt.

am currently planning a 3 day excursion to Wales for new year for 4 or 5 quite well prepped vehicles, but prob only one with a winch, we have accomodation sorted near abergavenny, but looking for some more lanes that will still be legal at that time... ive got the co-ordinates for strata florida and that one will deffo be on the list but anyone got any GPS refs for any others in the brecon beacons...?

cheers

m@tt.

All the ORPAs on the OS map in the area to the East of Abergavenny (Monmouthshire) were checked on the council's list of streets a couple of months ago and all are legal. Some, ask Mo Murphy, are not that easy though! :)

Chris