Steering wheel

Simon_CSK

If you mean you want to remove the SRS airbag, then officially it's a professional garage job, but unofficially, disconnect the battery (stops any chance of accidentally triggering the explosives in the airbag), undo the two bolts in the back face of the steering wheel (six-point star drive or maybe just allen key - I can't remember) and then ease the airbag out, disconnecting the wiring as it comes.

Then once the airbag is clear and ideally with the steering wheel in the straight ahead position or marked for alignment on reassembly, undo the centre nut and carefully guide the horn, SRS and any stereo/cruise control wiring through the slots as the wheel comes back. make absolutely sure you don't rotate the SCS wiring cassette (the annular plastic unit immediately behind the steering wheel) as doing so will probably damage the extremely delicate internal wiring - if you have to remove the cassette for any reason, then tape the two halves together as soon as you can (ideally before removal) to prevent accidental turning.

Do not reconnect the battery until the airbag is refitted as it will trigger a fault in the SRS ECU, bringing on the dash light, which can only be cleared with diagostics tools.

If you mean you want to remove the SRS airbag, then officially it's a professional garage job, but unofficially, disconnect the battery (stops any chance of accidentally triggering the explosives in the airbag), undo the two bolts in the back face of the steering wheel (six-point star drive or maybe just allen key - I can't remember) and then ease the airbag out, disconnecting the wiring as it comes.

Then once the airbag is clear and ideally with the steering wheel in the straight ahead position or marked for alignment on reassembly, undo the centre nut and carefully guide the horn, SRS and any stereo/cruise control wiring through the slots as the wheel comes back. make absolutely sure you don't rotate the SCS wiring cassette (the annular plastic unit immediately behind the steering wheel) as doing so will probably damage the extremely delicate internal wiring - if you have to remove the cassette for any reason, then tape the two halves together as soon as you can (ideally before removal) to prevent accidental turning.

Do not reconnect the battery until the airbag is refitted as it will trigger a fault in the SRS ECU, bringing on the dash light, which can only be cleared with diagostics tools.

Thanks very much for that I am breaking the Range Rover so the battery is out and reconnecting is someone else's problem. Gentleness is the name of the game I think.

In that case, try to have the steering straight and when you remove the cassette, tape it up well - it's the weakest part in the SRS system and is common to the 300Tdi DI, the DII, soft dash RRC and the P38. There was someone on the Discovery section with an SRS wiring fault that I suggested is likely to be this part, and he was asking where he could get one; might be worth you taking a look and getting in touch!

Just a suggestion - one of you post a photo or send the other a photo by text (having exchanged phone numbers by PM) to double check the part is the same, just in case I gave you a bum steer! I wouldn't want it on my conscience that someone parted with cash for a part that was useless to them because I got it wrong.

Just a suggestion - one of you post a photo or send the other a photo by text (having exchanged phone numbers by PM) to double check the part is the same, just in case I gave you a bum steer! I wouldn't want it on my conscience that someone parted with cash for a part that was useless to them because I got it wrong.

Snaggers there are many common parts between the Disco and the Range Rover. I have a Disco 2 now and it is incredible what parts are the same. The brakes are the same, Air intake box to name but two.

I have now got the steering wheel off with the aid of my Iphone so I could see the screw types. What did we do before smart phones?