300tdi timing

Well when I rebuilt my 1995 300tdi about 1 year ago I did not have a timing locking tool for the flywheel so just used the marks when I replaced the timing belt and she fired up and has ran OK ever since but not quite to its old standard and I have often wondered why. :wacko:

So at long last I bought a timing kit with the pin for the flywheel so today I thought I would just give it a quick check, drove into my garage and went underneath with my new locking tool and could not believe that it was stopped in the right place – well within a 1/8” so just needed a slight turn of the engine and the pin popped in. :mellow:

Next removed the cover for the fuel pump and went to fit the 9.5mm locking pin.

It would not go in, had a look at the manual and the hole looks like it sits slightly anticlockwise from the top left timing cover bolt. At about the 10 o’clock position.

This picture is taken on a mirror - hope you get an idea of what I an meaning.

WP_20130302_001_zpscb2f45a6.jpg

This one is with the camera pointing at the pump pulley.

WP_20130302_002_zps873db708.jpg

You can see the step through the hole I was talking about.

This is where it is now.

WP_20130302_005_zps5ebeb5d0.jpg

My one was found sitting at about 1 o’clock which is a lot further out than the slots in the bolt will let it travel. I did move the pulley anticlockwise a bit to see if the pin would locate as I could see a slight edge through the hole & the pin did go in slightly further.

Remembering back I think the pin went in quite a bit and was a good fit – where it is now it is not.

I did remove the flywheel lock and then tried to start her up, but no go, somehow I was not surprised. :huh:

Questions for you.

Can anyone confirm the position of the fuel pump locking hole, I could turn the engine and check this if need be.

Will I now have to remove the timing cover to check all the timing marks.

If it was so far out why has it run for over a year with no great problems.

Any advice welcome.

I dare say I could get it back to where I found it and running again but I would rather be sure its right.

Well Mo looks like you were right but what better way to spend a Saturday night.

Stripped of the timing cover which went well with the new timing kit as it was supplied with pullers.

After the cover was off I lined up the timing marks to see how far they were out and besides the pump which I had moved they were pretty much spot on.

Then went under to so how the flywheel lined up, I could see the grove in the flywheel although slightly out.

Turned the crank very slightly and the pin popped in.

Checked timing marks again and they still lined up - setting the crank without the pin is a bit of a guess as having the key way vertical is a bit of a hit or miss, you can be close enough to get it to run but still may be slightly out.

It is all set now ready for the cover to go back on in the morning and then I will see if I can tell the differences in performance.

Aside from the timing I had a squeak coming from the idle pulley on the cover and have another cover here which I was planning on fitting at some point.

Found this which may be of interest http://yootuubee.com/video/zKnK0kJ1N-o

As she sits tonight.

NokiaPics025_zps2fad5cb6.jpg

Well back together and running like a dream, running smother as well.

It was not a total waste of time as that is the first time I have been in the timing cover since it was rebuilt over a year ago.

Nice to see the timing belt still looked new and not shredded along the edge like my last one & no oil in the casing.

Changed the timing cover so the budgie noise has gone.

Its not a bad job to do but I was glad I bought this timing kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281057440917 :D