new 90 owner

hi everyone. new to the forum and new to the world that is land rover. i have a little blue 90 with the tired old 2.5 turbo. i had it in the local 4x4 garage and they recomended that the time has almost come for a engine swap. they recomended swaping to a 300tdi they quoted £2500 for the conversion to supply and fit. is this good value? and also is this a much better engine than the 200tdi? could i use my original gearbox with the the 200tdi or would that need changing also? i'm trying to keep costs down as much as i can. so if anyone knows of anybody that does these conversions for a reasonable price. then please get in touch. :blush:

thanks for the help

if anyone need any help with any plumbing then just give me a shout.

just trying to share the knowledge.

also does anyone know where to buy the cappings that go between the rear window and the bottom section. have looked everywher but cant seem to find any.

cappings from Exeter4x4 store

engine conversion for £2500 is a bluddy rip off

you could do the job easily for £1500 using a good donor engine

200TDI is a straight swap really give or take a few things

300TDi bit more to do but just as doable.

where in the country are you?

in sunny cambridgeshire. when he told me the price for the 300tdi swap. it kinda dented my enthusiasm for all things landy. but mine has got a solid chassis and i would rather re build this one than buy another.

so the 200tdi fits with my gearbox but the 300tdi needs a different gearbox. is the 300 a much better engine?

You can use your existing LT77 main gearbox with a 300Tdi as well, but the R380 is much nicer to use & stronger.

find a known good engine & use the 200tdi into a 90 thread in the tech archive as a guide, most of the fitting is almost identical for a 300tdi, or find a good ex-discovery 200tdi.

thanks for the info, i had a look and that welding looks pretty difficult considering i have never used a welder before in my life. so i'm looking for a good condition 200tdi engine and r380 gearbox. does my transfer box stay the same?

yes, keep your existing transfer box if it's all OK. you won't need to do any welding the 200Tdi sits on the existing engine mounts, swap the LT77 clutch bellhousing [it should be 11cm overall length from front to rear mounting faces, [better known as the 'Stumpy' bell housing] onto the R380 before fitting & it'll all drop into the same location as the existing engine/gearbox, I have this combination in my '89 110 which was a 2.5TD before the 200Tdi/R380 went in.

I can get a decent R380 gearbox with decent transfer box attatched ready to go the engine is more a search and find a decent NON stolen one, I was recently offered a nicked 300TDI, before you buy get the engine number abnd have it checked.

This includes from so called reputable Breakers.....

you can also consider buying a 200TDI discovery robbing the engine and selling on the remainder as a few have done on here recently.

as for the welding/engine swap there is a full pictorial explanation in the tech archive.

Cambridge is a tad far for me to offer my help.

JST has done a few of these now and knows his stuff as does our resident "HOW to Henson#2

in sunny cambridgeshire. when he told me the price for the 300tdi swap. it kinda dented my enthusiasm for all things landy. but mine has got a solid chassis and i would rather re build this one than buy another.

so the 200tdi fits with my gearbox but the 300tdi needs a different gearbox. is the 300 a much better engine?

James

Where is Cambridge are you.

Fill in your profile as well, it helps people help you.

There are a few people in the Cambridge area that I know who could help or advise you so give me a ring if you wish.

I have sent a PM (personal message) with my mobile.

John

i take it the disco has the r380 gear box? if i wanted to go 300tdi apperently i would have to change the tunnel? and the seat box? any ideas? what sort of performance can be had from a the 200 is there many aftermarket parts? its just my old 2.5td struggles at 60.

200TDI Disco but you don't want the gearbox

yours is much the same.(LT77) if yours is ok keep it

the performance of a 200 or 300 will far outweigh the crappy 2.5TD you currently have.

performance enhancments are available but you'll be pleased enough with the engine change for a while.

don't get sucked into a garage deal before checking back here.

thanks headhunter. i will give you a bell soon. my gearbox works fine for now. only slight problem is it pops out of reverse every now and then. but nothing i cant live with for the time being. so i'm on the look out for a 200tdi engine as complete as i can get. out of interest can the new gearbox be fittted without lifting the engine out again? sorry for all the questions there is so much to learn.

Yep, no need to remove the gearbox just for a engine swap, some of the engine/gearbox joint bolts can be accessed by removing the tunnel & diaphragm panel below the fusebox inside the cab, a support for the front of the gearbox will be required as it's split from the engine, your next move is to read the superb thread here :i-m_so_happy:

300tdi disco, you could remove engine etc and sell on the bits for £££

MOT to Sep 2007. Black 3 door in good condition. Drivers door window dose not open will try to fix. Drives very well, small dint near rear light. £1950 ono. Pos px 2 door classic Range Rover.

David 07900 248524 Loves_tiles@yahoo.co.uk

20 Sep P

James

My understanding

200tdi def (about £1k for 70k mileage engine) will fit your LT77, same engine mounts no welding. unbolt, rebolt easiest of the lot to do.

200tdi disco engine (DSN got his for £500) 80k, will fit lt77 and exisitng engine mounts, if using disco rad and intercooler then will need to lower rad moutning ht 11mm or so.

300tdi engine (1K?) will fit LT77 with short def bellhousing as described by Ralph above. need to weld in new engine mounts.

With all suggest you get engine complete - engine, loo, glow plug realy, rad, intercoller, all pipework, PAS pump, alt air filter housing and ducting.

about 45 man hours for the job with no previous exp.

i suggest if going 300tdi then do the G box as well.

your 1.4 T does not need changing.

I have done each of the above conversions and stuck with the original LT77 floor plan for each. No need to change the tunnel etc.

Les etc Tech article is a good place to start,