opinions - worth a punt at this price?

ronnie_rotten

ok. Quick poll, one word answers will do, elaborate if you like!

For sale: '98 3 door disco. 225,000 miles, 5 months mot. good boot floor and arches, chassis sound. Gear box and transfer box quiet and changes smoothly. electric windows work, interior clean under seat covers. Paintwork oxidised on lower skirts, but ok. Back door mechanism will need some fettling as needs key and handle to open.

Not a minter, but first impressions are ok.

Asking price 850. No movement on that.

Too much to ask, or worth a punt?

Go!

tdi. if it was a v8, i wouldn't be able to run it day to day!

and what else is wrong with it. well, aint that the 64,000...?

the guy selling it buys motors he thinks are priced well, or haggles for a better price, and then turns them out as quickly as possible for a small profit. he rarely does anything mechanical to them. i guess it's like buying a px car - it is what it is, take it or leave it. as far as history goes, last owner was a woman, and that's all got!

to my mind, it seems a reasonable price. i payed 600 for a disco with no boot floor last year, cos it was local and would do what i ineded for a month or 2. this ones got 100k more on the clock ,but seems a much cleaner and is far better body wise.

it's got no tow bar on. i had been thinking that's good as it wouldn't have been hauling loads of weight around, but maybe that's a warning sign of some sort? don't think it's been removed for off roading, body's too straight. better be double checking for rot at the fixing points i guess....

i hate buying new cars....

Lack of a tow bar = bloody good look to see if it was removed for any reason?

But if never fitted then excellent as it means it will have only ever been loaded up and driven and often those that never had one lead a very cushy life for a good many years as the lack of tow hook will have put most folk off!!!

Buy it now before someone else does!!!

For sale: '98 3 door disco. 225,000 miles, 5 months mot

Asking price 850. No movement on that.

the guy selling it buys motors he thinks are priced well, or haggles for a better price, and then turns them out as quickly as possible for a small profit. he rarely does anything mechanical to them. i guess it's like buying a px car - it is what it is, take it or leave it. as far as history goes, last owner was a woman, and that's all got!

Sorry, but someone who 'flips' cars (to use the American term) for a bit of beer money is open to negotiation, don't let him convince you otherwise. To my mind, it's about 200 notes too much. Especially given the lack of a towbar - I know some people consider it a good sign - but frankly on an LR (where it's a case of undoing four bolts to remove) it most likely will have been fitted and then removed. Also, a total lack of history, or a reticence on the seller's part to give details sets alarm bells ringing. Doesn't mean I would walk, but I would treat as a project car so therefore wouldn't go over £650.

Yeah I would say a bit too much - I would agree around the £600 mark the maximum.

As a comparison I know of a very tidy 1996 300tdi, with at a guess around 150k miles on it for £700. Again no tow bar and I know there has not been one fitted for at least 10 years, so I doubt it will ever have had on.

weeeeeell, i bought it. knocked enough off to make it 'feel' like a good buy. drove home nicely, no nasties..... yet.

looks like rear door handle linkage to fettle, nearside indicators to tinker with and a patch on inner wing and one sill. luckily, i got a guy for that who owes me one!

judging by the state of the bolts on the rear tie down/recovery points it's never had a towbar fitted, at least not for many moons.

oh well, here we go again....!

Rear door mech will need a new spring to fix. Simple (but fidly) fix. Very common.

You will need one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Discovery-1-Door-Latch-Lock-Repair-Spring-Tailgate-/200841926077?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec31c95bd

I did have a pile of working door mechs here as I used to remove them from breakers if they worked. I can't remember if I sold them all though I can look see

oh well, here we go again....!

Spoken like a true Landie Owner!

Sounds like you got yourself a capable motor for not much money...in the spirit of the forum guidance on member's vehicles posts, will you putting up a (hopefully quiet and uneventful) running repairs thread?