Failing Prop after 2 months use.

Bought a front double carden front prop from Craddock’s November last year, when it turned up I found out it was a ****part :angry2: , no mention of this on the site.

Well fitted it (bad move) about a month later I started getting a strange noise which I spent a lot of time trying to find, wheels, bearings, suspension were all checked and found to be OK.

The Defender had done no more than 8 miles per day and most of that was on Tarmacadam.

The noise was getting worse – checked the prop and it was found to be tight but as it was supplied with no grease nipples I was unable to grease but what I did do was fill the joints with grease, smothered them in it and guess what the noise stopped for over a week.

Contacted Craddock’s who said if I sent it back they would sent it back to Britpart and it could take 28 days before I get it or a replacement back.

I use the Defender every day so cannot send it back and looks like I will have to replace the U/J’s while I wait and see if Craddock’s come up with a better idea.

Does anyone know if standard quality U/J’s will fit a ****part prop

I do have a 3" lift that is the reason I fitted it, Still have the old prop but the spline was badly worn and that only took 18 years.

I would also have to change the drive flange again - none of these jobs I would like to do - wish people would advertise who's parts they are selling.

Well peeved off as you can probably tell.

Will sleep on it but would rather just change the U/J's at least then I will know what I have, At the end of the day the best I can hope for is a replacement prop which may land up doing the same thing.

I will see if Craddock's come back and if I decide to send it back - providing if they find it faulty they send me another prop of far better quality if I cover the differences in cost which I do not think is unreasonable.

I bought an allmakes prop recently and after 100 miles it was making a hell of a racket. I took the UJ off to find it was scored on every journal - seemingly from poor installation. Fitted a new UJ myself, sent the damaged one back and got a refund, albeit bugger all... It kept it on the road without having to wait.