classic RNGE RVR .

coachman

Good morning gentlemen/women ,I have just bought a Range Rover 3.9 classic .Several points I need tto ask more learned people like yourselves , What does permanent 4 wheel drive mean in the case of this vehicle ,does it have a limited slip diff ? or not , how do I convert to coil suspension ,the aair system is TOTALLY goosed ,,how do I convert to L.P.G , any ideas where and who at what expected cost .The car has stood forlorn for some timme but under the moss it looks intact and unmolested .PLEASE PLEASE call back ,COACHMAN . :i-m_so_happy:

Welcome to the madhouse of Range Rover Classic ownership!

Permanent 4 wheel drive is literely that, all 4 wheels are driven at all times. Defenders and Disco's are the same and others. There will be the diffs on the front and rear axles, then a diff in the centere transfer box. Which in the case of a 3.9 will be the Borg Warner vicous transfer box, so just a high/low lever with no difflock like on Disco's or Defenders.

Coil conversion kits can be bought to convert to coils if you so wish, some think air is better. I will be keeping the air suspension on my Vogue SE. The system is actualy fairly straight forward, and free maintenace/calibration software is available on the net.

LPG, Tinley Tech are to be recommended apparently. Look at their website or give them a call. A fount of knowledge and helpful by all accounts.

Are you going to do a write up in the members vehicles section?

Permanent 4 wheel drive is literely that, all 4 wheels are driven at all times. Defenders and Disco's are the same and others. There will be the diffs on the front and rear axles, then a diff in the centere transfer box. Which in the case of a 3.9 will be the Borg Warner vicous transfer box, so just a high/low lever with no difflock like on Disco's or Defenders.

Coil conversion kits can be bought to convert to coils if you so wish, some think air is better. I will be keeping the air suspension on my Vogue SE. The system is actualy fairly straight forward, and free maintenace/calibration software is available on the net.

LPG, Tinley Tech are to be recommended apparently. Look at their website or give them a call. A fount of knowledge and helpful by all accounts.

Yes ,I will do a photo sequence and log all so as to be read by equally all . apparently the air susp has perished as it has stood so long ,I am at the mercy of the vendor ,is he correct ,how easy would repair be . coachman ( air repair )

Changing air bags is easy, and about £60-80 per corner, coil conversion is ~ £200, so not much in it really, for originality I would keep it on air, if the rest of the system is OK (sounds like it should be OK, unless it has been run for a long time with leaks).

Changing air bags is easy, and about £60-80 per corner, coil conversion is ~ £200, so not much in it really, for originality I would keep it on air, if the rest of the system is OK (sounds like it should be OK, unless it has been run for a long time with leaks).

Second that. Keep the air and fix it, brilliant when it's working. And, as said,original.

I found genuine Dunlop air bags for about £35 each plus P&P for the fronts here http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-front-rubber-bellow-dunlop-ntc9819dph-p-899.html and rears herehttp://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-rear-rubber-bellow-dunlop-ntc9820dph-p-900.html

I will need to replace mine too which is why I was looking. I haven't checked if they are the right part numbers or anything yet though.

Second that. Keep the air and fix it, brilliant when it's working. And, as said,original.

If i wasn't thinking of using my RRC as pure offroad car (long travel suspension) i will still be using EAS. It is perfect. I was rebuilding EAS system (block and compressor) on my P38 (which is literally the same as Classic) and it was quite easy.