Hello 300 tdi a little flat

Hello there, just signed up last night.... I have a D plate 90, I swapped the original 2.5 NA for a 300 tdi over Christmas.

I've change the lift pump for the decent Delphi one.

Any ideas? It smokes for about 30 seconds on start up which is white ish color but doesn't smoke at all after that.

Hi and welcome, there are quite a few ways of getting more from your 300tdi.

Fuel pump tweek - easy to do and costs nothing.

Intercooler - this will also require the fuel pump tweek.

Hybred turbo costley.

Have a read of this, make sure your engine timing is correct first.

http://www.orrp.com/smf/index.php?topic=4722.0%22]here

Frax

A classic 'flatness' problem on the 300Tdi is caused by the throttle adjuster on the pump unscrewing itself so that you don't get full throttle travel. Check the lever on the pump moves as soon as you touch the throttle and there's isn't slack in the cable inner core at the adjuster. If that is OK, then a small tweak on the fuel pump will make a huge amount of difference just don't overdo it especially on an older engine.

It smokes for about 30 seconds on start up which is white ish color but doesn't smoke at all after that.

Have you checked the glow plugs are working OK?

From memory, the wiring for the plugs on a 300tdi was a little different to the 2.5N/A (I could be wrong though)

Second the comments on the engine having a snag of some sort to be smoking for 30 sec after start - whatever it is needs sorting and may well be the cause.

Secondly (!) in additon to Bogmonster's suggestion, ensure that the adjustment screw on the accelerator is set correctly. 'Flat out' on the pedal may not be resulting in full travel at the pump - I *think* that's subtly different from his suggestion (which also should be checked).

Only once everything is checked ok should you then seek 'improvement' by playing with the pump etc, otherwise you're making adjustments from an unknown datum and potentialy masking problems that need addressing.