Add cruise control to 2001 TD4?

FridgeFreezer

Now I'm doing a few miles I'm wondering if it's possible to add cruise control to my freebie. In theory it should be easy enough - the TD4 is fly-by-wire anyway and being a FL it has the relevant sensors for the ABS/HDC/TC too. The optimist in me hopes it's just a question of adding some buttons to the steering wheel...

I've looked in RAVE, and it's not clear what applies to which models - the petrol ones need vacuum actuators for the throttle and the ECU list (groan) mentions a Cruise Control interface ECU and a Cruise Control control ECU, but not which vehicles they apply to (and RAVE is a bit shady with the transition from pre-TD4 era to post-TD4 era parts at the best of times).

The parts book lists the steering wheel buttons, but also a dashboard button (cruise control by the heater controls, only LR...)

So, can anyone confirm or deny what the cruise control setup on a 1st-gen TD4 would be, and how hard it is to set up?

I'm not averse to spending £50 on an ECU and some switches from a breakers but don't want to be piddling around installing wiring harnesses and hooking up main dealer computers.

And I'm aware there are aftermarket kits, but they're ugly and they smell.

• 3 months later...
Now I'm doing a few miles I'm wondering if it's possible to add cruise control to my freebie. In theory it should be easy enough - the TD4 is fly-by-wire anyway and being a FL it has the relevant sensors for the ABS/HDC/TC too. The optimist in me hopes it's just a question of adding some buttons to the steering wheel...

I've looked in RAVE, and it's not clear what applies to which models - the petrol ones need vacuum actuators for the throttle and the ECU list (groan) mentions a Cruise Control interface ECU and a Cruise Control control ECU, but not which vehicles they apply to (and RAVE is a bit shady with the transition from pre-TD4 era to post-TD4 era parts at the best of times).

The parts book lists the steering wheel buttons, but also a dashboard button (cruise control by the heater controls, only LR...)

So, can anyone confirm or deny what the cruise control setup on a 1st-gen TD4 would be, and how hard it is to set up?

I'm not averse to spending £50 on an ECU and some switches from a breakers but don't want to be piddling around installing wiring harnesses and hooking up main dealer computers.

And I'm aware there are aftermarket kits, but they're ugly and they smell.

thats interesting id i like cruise control