P38 whats the worst that could happen?

SmasherWebbs

Thanks all for that info.

ABS light on when running but have not driven yet (normal or not?)

ABS light will stay on till the vehicle is moving, I think it has to reach 5mph. This is normal and so long as the light goes out once you are moving not a problem.

Have a P38 in my drive that I am breaking. I drove it for 9 months had overheating problem and replaced the engine block, had suspension problems, put the front diff through the gearbox but the final nail in the coffin was the lights going on by themselves and the associated electrical gremlins.

Because money was tight I ran a Mondeo :rtfm: for 9 months before getting a Disco 2. Now my disco to is getting a new chassis fitted because I did not look at it properly when I bought it.

I did 17000 miles in the P38 and they were very comfortable and enjoyable. 4.6 auto on LPG and would certainly recommend this as a setup. Once the Disco is on the road I am looking to buy a P38 4.6 auto on LPG as a back up car as it was very nice I do 20,000 miles a year and having two vehicles to share it with seems to be a good option for me as I like Land Rovers and one is always broken :rofl:

I have had two p38s and one I bought new on a Y plate back in 2001 top of the range HSE diesel 2.5 loved the car but went like a snail and I released the more loaded they are the more there is to go wrong although nothing major broke but sold it after five years (lost £30k) on it) and bought a used one V8 4.0 as its faster than the diesel and more reliable than the 4.6 went for most basic I could find no sunroof, electric seats etc etc i bought it 5 years ago on a 2001 Y plate with 119000 on the clock, full dealer service history with 1 owner and paid £4000 it's had little things done by me, brake discs, pads, mac, plugs, leads and exhaust and been great for running up and down to the alps and as much as I am having an annoying overheating issue at the moment I have had almost five years of trouble free use and taken it to some harsh environments where bmw, Audi and VW 4x4s were getting stuck and needed a tug from me. With a few spares there is nothing you can't fix and parts are easy to come by as long as you have space. I just replaced the front bumper and wings as the wife had a small argument with a tree and it cost me £60 and some spray and it looks like new.

Well worth the diags tool but I don't think there is an OBDII interface on older than 2000/2001 cars from what I was told and personally I would get the latest model you can find and stay clear of LPG from what mechanics I know have said as they are always fixing them and the pipes can have problems or the engine will not run as good as it did on petrol. I get 25 mpg cruising down to the alps on the motorway with four of us and the dog sitting around 65mph as a guide worse was 22mpg but plugs, timing, maf and air leaks can all change this so regular maintenance on a P38 is a must in my opinion.

Good luck with what you decide and stick with this forum there's a great bunch of people on here and wealth of experience.