Ticking sound in instrument panel

I have an irritating ticking sound that seems to be coming from somewhere within hte instrument panel, especially when the going over bumps or turning the steering wheel. It sounds like a pencil being held from one end and having the free end dropped onto something hard. I try to avoid opening up the instrument panel at all if I can. Has anyone got a clue what I should be looking for?

It's a 300tdi but it's not engine related. Something is loose somewhere behind the dials. I can even hear it when I close the door. Oh well, will have to remove the darned cluster and fiddle around in the spagheetti junction I guess. :blink:

A regular rythmical ticking can sometimes be a slightly kinked or squashed speedo cable, open the bonnet and locate the cable and tug it a bit.

another solution is a bit of previous windscreen or a screw stuck down twixt dash board and bulkhead, right at the front in the front crevass. i had some glass down there, took me 2 years to find the noise, only happenend on roundabouts and over 50mph where the air pressure on the front of the bulkhead effectively squashed the gap.

I remember your story Mike. I had followed it closely because I have a similar ticking sound but it's most definitely coming from the release bearing. Any pressure put on the clutch pedal will make the noise go away. the ticking sound mentioned in this topic is definitely not engine related. Sometimes I can hear it when the engine is off too!

Could someone [a small, as-yet-sadly-uneducated-in-the-ways-of-Land-Rovers child] have dropped coins or something down the demister vents or pushed something through the air-flap slots?

Many years ago I bought an ex-Police Granada 2.8i at an auction. It always had a rattle from behind the dashboard - until I removed the heater to fix a leaking matrix, and discovered about fifteen keys inside. A MetPol acquaintance subsequently identified them as handcuff-keys.