Defender soft top installation instructions

I am installing a soft top to my D90.

Got all the sticks done but I cannot figure out how to install the rail on top of the winshield frame.

So, I am looking for instructions, pictures or any form of help.

Thanks.

OK, There is a rail called a "header rail" that sits on top of the windsheild frame. This is what holds the canvas top to the front of the vehicle(windshield frame).

I need to know where exactly do I bolt it down. I have to drill 4 new holes in the frame and I want to get it right the first time.

A picture or some instructions on the net would be great.

Thanks.

Measured it for you

The sun visors are held to the windscreen frame by riveted brackets.

Using the brackets nearest the rear view mirror...

From the centre of your inner handle bolts to the centre of the rivet is 72 mm ish on both sides.

The header rail is a clamp which grips the canvas between the windscreen panel and the header rail.

Four bolts pass through the header rail, then through a small spring, then through the windscreen panel and a plastic cam lever screws onto the end - this is what pulls the header rail down tight against the screen top gripping the canvas.

I've just checked a header rail here, and working from the edge, first hole is 90mm, second hole is 40mm in, and the centreline is a groove running the length of the rail, in line with a couple of oval slots.

having massive pc problems today, so will see if I can upload a photo from my phone.

post-4919-0-04745600-1367434662_thumb.jpg

Yep. That all sounds the same as mine, or similar at least.

Here is the kit I bought, and there are some pictures which might help, but don't get your hopes up too much.

http://www.trakkers.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1134&category_id=60&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

I don't honestly understand why you are having a problem. But it's probably me being thick and assuming too much so I'll explain it a bit better

Put the new header rail bracket on top of the windscreen rail. I guess you know which way is out?

Line it up so the front edge of the bracket is just slightly behind the top edge of the windscreen rail - mine is just a couple of mm in at the outside and iabout 5mm in on the inside. So that makes the new bracket roughly 7mm narrower than the windscreen rail.

Get the centre line of the bracket iin the middle of the windscreen rail and that is where it lives. Unless your bracket is substantially different to mine.

The holes are for cam bolts.

The slots are for the tie down tails off your fabric roof.

YES!

This is my problem

"Line it up so the front edge of the bracket is just slightly behind the top edge of the windscreen rail - mine is just a couple of mm in at the outside and iabout 5mm in on the inside. So that makes the new bracket roughly 7mm narrower than the windscreen rail.
Get the centre line of the bracket iin the middle of the windscreen rail and that is where it lives"

The left and right allignment is not an issue, its how far foward or backwards it sits on the windshield frame.

I am thinking that if I line up the slots on the rail with existing holes in the windshild frame, put temporary bolts and nuts in them and snug it, then adjust the left and right alignment and make sure everything else lines up, THEN drill the 4 holes for the cam bolts?

Aaaaah, now I get you Natas!

The holes aren't in either the new bracket or the windscreen rail are they?

Yep, that sounds like a perfectly good plan. Go for it and good luck.

Btw, have you just taken off a hard roof?

Boy will you notice the difference if you have. Mine is the old 2.5td and the old girl flies thanks to getting the weight of the roof and door off her back!

Aaaaah, now I get you Natas!

The holes aren't in either the new bracket or the windscreen rail are they?

Yep, that sounds like a perfectly good plan. Go for it and good luck.

Btw, have you just taken off a hard roof?

Boy will you notice the difference if you have. Mine is the old 2.5td and the old girl flies thanks to getting the weight of the roof and door off her back!

Was originally a truck cab, then topless, then a full hard top and now a full soft top.

Thanks so much for all the help!

OK,

I am almost done.

I got the header rail mounted last night thanks to all the help.

One more issue.

The new frame that runs vertically along the door frame where the soft top tucks in both vertically and horizontaly.

There is a tab on the top of the vertical piece that is stopping me from tucking in the top completly

here is a picture, my finger is pointing at the tab.

punkystop.jpg

and here it is installed as is, The top part will not tuck in with the tab there.

punkystop2.jpg

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Got it!

I emailed the pictures to my supplier (Famous Four) who passed it on the the manufacturer.

They said just leave a 2mm gap between the B-pillar and the top rain drip rail and the hood will slip in between.

Thanks guys, I will post a pic when its done. :i-m_so_happy:

On mine, that tab is bent flat against the plate behind it - try 'persuading' it with a hammer or loosening the bolts and seeing if there is any movement.

So long as you are careful, the galvanising should be ok.

Harry

edit: didn't see your reply!

Now it seems to be too short on the two sides.

Each side seems to be about an inch too short to be able to hook the loops on to the catches(not installed yet).

I have put her out in the sun to see if that will help me stretch the canvas????

I have readjusted everything to get it as close as I can but I still need about an inch.

img5021p.jpg

The hook isn't meant to catch the brass eyelet. Instead, take the loose end of rope, run it back through the brass eyelet then knot the end to stop it pulling back through.

You should then have a loop of rope that will meet up with the front hook. Sorry for the poor description, I shall try to find a picture of mine.

Looks good. To be perfect, those side flaps for the, er, not sure what to call it, back door flap! Should tuck into the pockets, and there will be a slot for the strap to pass through to the buckle.

Make sure to keep the hood drum tight all round for a good while, don't let it get wet with any part of it loose or opened or it will shrink. You can relax over time once its had a few soakings and seasoned itself.

Edit - oops, didn't spot westerns post : )