Fault Diagnosis please....

On my way back from watching the LR4X4 team come 3rd today I had and un-characteristic thing happen.. I broke down.. (No tears.. Just car failure..)

On M4 got stuck in a queue. Engine warmed a little and at one point it just stopped idling.

It re-started no problem at all. Ran through the waiting and after traffic cleared I got a misfire near Reading. Misfire cleared but came back when accelerating onto M25. (Didn't feel like fuel starvation, really felt electrical and could see misfire reading on tacho.)

Car ran smooth if not accelerating or under pressure.

After J18, without further warning it stopped. Would not re-start and it had a pleasant journey home car of a breakdown truck.

Is V8 3.5

All new plugs, leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap last week. (Lucas / LR Genuine / NGK)

Does this sound like a coil failure, electronic ignition or something else maybe...

I await your thoughts...

Not being a person to dwell on bad things, I took the opportunity to capture the scene....

post-1475-1170355692_thumb.jpg

Neil

Borrow a coil - I had exactly this happen on the RR although the biggest "stoppage" was 5 seconds of dead coasting on the M27 before it spluttered back again. It could just as likely be the amp, but a coil is easier to borrow to prove the fault.

If it is the amp, and yours is the type where the amp is on the wing, consider upgrading to the type on the dizzy body, they're cheaper and more reliable. Looking at it it also looks like you can put the insides of the later type onto an earlier type dizzy but I haven't confirmed 100% yet. The trigger wheel & pickup is identical anyway. Anyone care to tell me if my hunch is correct?

No filter at all...

I was impressed myself. I think it's long exposure giving an exaggerated effect of the light collection by the CCD.

Since CCD is uniform pattern I think it must be that, if not I have no explanation...

Happy with the result though.

Neil

All sorted.....

So much easier to see a wire that's rubbed and earthed in daylight....

Little bit of temporary insulating tape, re-route cables and tie back til weekend and all fine and dandy again...

Thanks to all those willing to assist....

(Note to self.... Better inspection lamp required..)