15" Pink Panther wheels

Soren Frimodt

Well got my greasy hands on these last summer, fitted with some ugly old Russian tyres.

Finally got around to pry off said USSR tyres, and I can safely say that I'm very (positively) surprised over the discoveries I made.

First off, bar one, they look as new on the inside! One has a bit of corrosion along the bead area, but as there is five of them I can just use it as the spare.

Furthermore they are equpped with a safety bead on the outside! Just like tubeless wheels, I wonder if the Pink Panther ran tubeless tyres, or it was made that way to work a bit as a beadlock when airing down for the dunes?

Anyway here's some pictures (you can just see the safetybead)

post-9137-0-70193700-1368380103_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-48929400-1368380116_thumb.jpg

Yes only at the outer bead Mikey, which is what made me wonder whether it was to act like a headlock, as it usually is the outer bead that has the greatest chance of falling off..

And Bill; well yes it's somewhat confusing because some did run the combo you describe, but if you google pictures of a pink panther you will se some that ran my wheels with a tyre that only has a radial thread like a lorry. Most be only for desert use or something. Don't know if they might have a wider track axle or something to get turning radius. But for the 80" its perfect because the bodywork is so narrow and I've fitted the wider series 3 axles

• 2 weeks later...