300tdi clutch issue

So,'96 300tdi. . Very stiff and creaky clutch pedal, lubricated the pedal, drained fluid, and the pedal action seems fine when there's no resistance, put fluid back in and it's really stiff again, I suspect the plate in the bellhousing, however that was new less than 10k ago, as was the clutch itself. . .

Any ideas??

Cheers.

It could be a failing cylincer (more likely slave, but not necessarily), a bad flexible hose (perished inner lining), failing release fork or the release bearing carrier seizing on the pinion sleeve. And just because the clutch pressure plate is new, that can't be eliminated, especially if it was a pattern part.

Hmm. I think f the pedal is fine with the hydraulics empty or disconnected, you can now discount that part. Good that the cylinders are serviceable. If you still get trouble, then I'd next replace the hose - not only is it external, but a collapsing hose will restrict fluid passage in a way that fits the symptoms very well. They don't last forever. I think the internal clutch issues are still possible but less likely than the hose, unless an event happened that was likely to melt the plastic of the release bearing carrier, but that usually only happens in very heavy driving in extremely hot climates (hence the aluminium after market versions). Still a guess, though!

Update.

Fitted new flexi yesterday, however whilst doing it I removed the breather that I have permanently in the wading plug hole, and there's oil. ....thick black oil.

So, ordered new rear main and front seal for g box, HD release whilst I'm doing it, and will source clutch locally if its contaminated when I get it out, one job I could have done without! Think it's time to remove all breathers and make sure they're clear!

If the oil is black, it's probably from the engine, not the gear box. The gear box oil turns grey with age, and the clutch produces a reddish dust. The two could mix to make black, but I think you're looking at replacing the crank shaft seal in the flywheel housing. If so, the clutch and flywheel need to be removed for access. I can't remember whether the flywheel housing needs to come off the block - I don't think it does.