Gear Stick on my 300tdi Sitting to the left in Neutral

CJ1

Remove the electric window switch panel, gear lever and hand brake lever gaiters. With the car chocked, release the handbrake to allow the clevis pin through the lever and cable to be removed. Then remove the centre console (two screws in the cubby box, two more under the rubber trim ahead of the high/low lever. Watch out for the cigarette lighter wiring

Remove the sound padding to find the rubber gasket. Remove the upper half of the gear stick and the rivets securing the rubber gasket, then lift away the retainer and gasket. This reveals the selector lever pivot box. Undo the screws to take the top off the box and you can access the springs.

When you put it back together, use self tapping screws for the rubber gasket to make access easier in the future.

Broken detent spring. Easy fix on a defender, not sure if you can get to it on the Disco though without dropping the gearbox. Possibly. Anyway, the part is cheap, the execution may not be.
Not necessarily a spring. It can also be the plate that holds the springs that snaps in half, and for all they cost compared to the hassle of getting to it, it is probably as well to change the whole lot while you are in there. You can certainly change it on a 200 box in a Discovery, because I did my old one, so I expect you can on a 300 as well.

There might even be a post with pics in the tech archive, not sure

Here's one from our Tech Archive for an LT77

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40005

I think the arrangement on an R380 is similar.

Apart from the fact that the reverse light switch is no longer in there and the clip on the hand brake lever's clevis pin is different, the procedure and parts are identical.

Did you manage to do this as one I have recently acquired has the same, I thought it was me as my range rover was auto so hadn't had a manual 300 tdi before. Be interested to know how you got on and any pics on the way are always good.

Thanks

Robert, I have a 300Tdi RRC with an R380. Like I said, apart from a couple of details of the shape of the centre console, the type of clip on the hand brake cotter pin and the absence of the reverse light switch, it's all identical. The gasket and retainers even look like they are the same parts as on the 300.

I have noted all the information down, but am flat out at the moment so the job will have to wait. But hoping to get round to it next week as I want to pop down to Terrain and pick up the parts ready to do a replacement job if it needs it. And if not then I will store the parts ready for the future. But I will take photo's of all stages of the job and post them up on here as soon as I have done it.

Thanks again guys.