load bay drawer build

bigbeast

hi all

going to be building a load bay drawer/storage unit thingamajig in the defender next week.

just though id start this thread so people can see it and maybe give ideas to knock one up themselves.

i know a few lads have done these in the past but mines will be a touch different as my drawer will only take up half the load bay. as i do carry passengers in the back of the 90 and wanted to keep at least 2 fully functioning seats.

ordered the hardware today and should be here friday/monday.

drawer slides are 90kg rated (at 450mm, mine are 550 so slighly higher rating i suspect) going to be storing my tools and stuff in the back so will defo exceed 40kg.

post-15189-0-80085700-1369229323_thumb.jpg

the handle is to be a paddle latch (lockable)

post-15189-0-57083500-1369229452_thumb.jpg

when done will all be carpeted to match existing grey county carpet

wood will be 18mm ply...which is free from work

fixings have cost around £50 (£32 for slides/runners, £17 for paddle latch)

the only part i havent figured out yet is how im goin to fix it to the landy. dont really fancy drilling holes in the rear tub. might try and use the rear seat mounting holes somehow, using a brace or something.

how did anyones else fix theirs in place??

ben

• 2 weeks later...

What about using the existing seat mounting bolt holes with a piece of flat bar(drilling through the flat bar and bolting through it into the top of your box) using coach bolts to stop it moving- get thrown about in the event of an accident-seeing as you dont want to drill any holes in your rear tub?

John

That'd work well - two flat bars spanning the top of the drawer to the seat fixing bolts would be neat and non-invasive.

If I'd come across this thread earlier, I'd have suggested making the drawer front a tad narrower (1" or so each side, similar to the left side on steel versions made by the after-market manufacturers to clear the door frame) to allow the use of load securing rings in the load space sides, like on Tdci models, with a ratchet strap over each side running fore/aft.

Nice work! Want to make something for the back of my 110dcpu too so might do something similar in alluminium.

Your slides will be lower than 90kg though will they not if they are 550 rather than the 90kg rates 450mm lengths? Just going by what they say on the site anyway although I would have thought the longer the slide, the more bearings it would have and load bearing too.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get the box carpeted this weekend. Colour match to the existing carpet isn't great as I could only go off pictures on eBay. Finished box looks damn good now tho. Took some more pics for ya.post-15189-0-88118300-1371421475_thumb.jpgpost-15189-0-87598800-1371421514_thumb.jpg

Yeah I think the flat bar idea will be the way I'm going to go. To be fair it's a very snug fit especially with the carpet on now.

Snailracer, the paddle latch was from whb.org.uk horse box supplies place. That was the cheapest I could find. Since that I've found an Albert jaggers which also do them but have no idea of price, may be worth checking out. The quality of the latch used is good though