LT230 Speedo Drive Swapping

Hi all,

Next week I'm planning on swapping the LT230 in my Defender for one out of a 300TDi Disco, I've been getting the donor box ready - got a new input seal to go in, stripped off the handbrake assembly and cleaned everything up, etc.

One issue I have is with the speedo drive gear and it's housing, both boxes have the mechanical worm drive and I assume I need to swap the gear from my old box to the new one? Only thing is I'm having real problems getting the one out of the Disco box, I've tried levering it out but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Could anyone confirm that they need swapping over and advise on the best way to remove a stubborn drive gear and it's housing?

Much appreciated.

You probably will have to. Not because of the change in ratio (the speedo drive is driven after the ratio change), but because the Discovery's tyres were probably smaller than your Defender's.

Try wiggling the output flange as you're levering, as the speedo drive teeth are in direct contact with the output shaft worm gear.

we put a disco box in my dads 110 and although the speedo drive is technically the wrong one now for his tyre size it actually reads more accurate than it ever has.

However, if you do need to remove the drive gear and the housing is stuck, the only way ive found to do it without damaging the housing is to remove the complete rear output housing from the transfer box so that you can get to the back of the speedo drive to tap it out with a punch.

Hope that helps

Dave

Thanks for the replies, I've finally got it out after trying most of this afternoon, it was really tight and required lots of little prods and pokes from all angles until it finally popped all the way out - very relieved. I had hoped it wouldn't come to taking the housing apart to get behind it.

Thanks again!