300 rear bumper on a 200?

Nigelw

Silly question I know but the theory says they will swap nut and bolt fashion but what about in practice?

And probably a weird ask but......

As I have no intentions of ever towing can I just take the trailer cable and wire up the bumper lights using that or is there a more preferred method?

Hi

I have just done it on a 200 TDI

I put a ARB style heavy duty rear bumper with tow reciver, but was from a 300tdi.

Bolts are the same and in the same place so that bit is easy.

I did take the lights and indicator connections off the trailer connector as it was right there.

Only down side , the trailer light on the dash will work all the time as the car believes you have a trailer lights on.

Here is mine

null_zps91a56999.jpg

That is just what I wanted to hear :D

I have to remove the bumper to fully assess the rear body cross member and as I already have the 300Tdi bumper with the lights in it and it is in far better shape than the current 200s bumper I want to swap it, and the extra lights would be a real bonus, you can never have enough rearward facing lights!!!

You can cure the trailer dash light coming on by reducing the wattage of the indicator lights, eg. if there were originally 6 bulbs each of 15 watts = 90 total and you now have 8 bulbs use 10 watters = 80 total and the system will operate as before.

You can cure the trailer dash light coming on by reducing the wattage of the indicator lights, eg. if there were originally 6 bulbs each of 15 watts = 90 total and you now have 8 bulbs use 10 watters = 80 total and the system will operate as before.

You can also cure the trailer light dash problem by wiring the indicators through a relay, which western very kindly showed me here:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83285http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83285http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83285

I wasn't really bothered about the trailer light being illuminated to be honest, I had considered making a seperate loom up for the bumper and doing some more wiring and multi plugging but with the amount of wiring I have done on this thing already I don't really fancy it right now, just a set of lights in the bumper would keep me happy for now :D

But when the rear quarters come off in the winter I might feel more like tidying up and making good and proper job of it :rolleyes: