200tdi Disco disc braked axle onto 110

So... was told today that someone had put a 200tdi disc braked discovery axle onto a 110 with drums, it fit, with some small spacers (not sure where they were as I didn't have that long to ask questions)

I'm wondering whats the main differences, is it just that the salisbury axle casing is stronger or are there different diffs in there?

Thanks in advance

Mat

Don't use a Disco axle on a 110, it's not rated for the 110's max weight, thats why LR used the stronger Salisbury,

you can use Disco/RRC rear calipers & discs to do a brake conversion though & seperate caliper brackets if you can find a pair. I've recently done a rear drum salisbury to disc conversion & landy_novice is doing a similar job using Defender 300tdi rear disc parts. both threads are in this forum.

I've read both of those conversion threads Western, very informative!!

I was really looking for some confirmation of my own opinions, that it was something you wouldn't want to do for the same reason you stated above, the weight rating.

Out of interest, what is a disco axle rated to?

for a 300tdi Discovery the max rear axle weight is 1650kg, on a standard 110 no heavy duty suspension, it 1850kg, on a 130 it's 2200. so a Disco rear would be overloaded, hence the rear salisbury & on later vehicles a beefed up P38 type rear axle.

Though the weight rating is in reality just the diff strength. The same housing with a 4-pin diff is rated higher (or so I understand it) so if you're looking for an alternative for the rear a newer 110 Rover axle would be my choice as it doesn't drag as low as the Sals will.