Wiring question

Hi there I'm fitting some gauges and need to know

Switched 12 volt source (what wire on the ignition ?)

Ground (ok easy know that lol)

Constant12 volt source (best place to take it from ?)

Switched 12 volt head lamp source (what wire from head lamp switch ?)

I will be fitting the gauges in a Mudstuff centre (TD5 style) dash clock, boost, oil pressure

Thanks there

What vehicle ?

For a pre TD5

Green

Brown. There's one on the fuse box you can cut and fit a Lucar connector blocg and wire from there

Blue at the headlight switch

Going back to green. I can't remember if it's green or light green, please check with a test lamp.

You should test hem all with a test light

HTH

plain green & plain white are Ignition controlled 12v feeds

plain black is earth

plain purple & plain brown are permanent 12v feeds direct from battery/fusebox

plain blue from main light switch feeds the headlights.

have you got a wiring diagram for your vehicle ???

to fit a oil pressure gayge using genuie LR parts, have a look here [i'm asssuming yours is a 200tdi engine]

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/western214h/library/oil%20pressure%20and%20temperature%20transmitter%20locations?sort=3&page=1

a clock needs a permanent 12v live feed via a fuse, a earth & lighting via the existing gauge lighting [red/white trace wire]

a boost gauge just needs a sensing pipe from the turbo boost line & wiring the lighting as for the clock

I'm using GlowShift gauges as all my dash illuminates blue and these were the only blue illuminated gauges I could find.....I've taken out my old square clock and using there's, Turbo boost and oil pressure my wiring is on gauges

Black..ground/Earth

RED...12V switched source (+)

Yellow 12V Constant (unswitched) source (+)

Orange 12V Dimmer (switched source (+) Says side lights tho cant see why it needs dimming till main head lights on

I HATE car electrics so if my head is on right...

Ok the Black is easy just a ground source

OK red sound go to the 12V ignition switch (Plain green or plain white ???) ( so turns gauges lights on)

Ok yellow a constant on all the time 12 volt source direct from battery or (brown on the landy ignition ???) Put a 3 amp fuse in line (so operates the gauges power)

Ok and Orange which operates the dimmer on the gauges when lights are turned on will be on the lights switch (pale blue from light switch ?)

OK hope that's right ....I also have to connect up my carling switches to illuminate but that should be easier and same wires I'm guessing

Don't mean to sound a thick but all ways best to check and double these things .....

Can I also link a second cigarette lighter in off the first ones wiring ????

Presume I can daisy chain all 3 gauges and my carling switches wiring together from the one source ??

One other thing thanks to member's help I've sorted my Connection for oil pressure gauge but My turbo boost gauge comes with a 1/8th NPT connection it says to drill and tap my manifold but on my Turbo screws in a square brass pipe connecter I want to remove that and use a T piece as well in there ...so screw a T piece into the turbo screw the square brass pipe connecter into the end of the T piece and then out the side of the T piece screw in my 1/8th NPT compression fitting ..............

Ok does any one know the size / tread of that square brass bit that screws into the turbo ?????

Thanks every one for there help.

Oh just to add I do have my old clock wires sat doing nout behind my dash ........any good ???

• 5 months later...