Testing a gearbox - without fitting it to a car first

Hi all

I have just acquired a Defender R380 gearbox which I was told would not go into gear. However, the seller didn't actually know what that meant, having himself acquiring the gearbox from a vehicle that didn't drive. So my question is how do I test it? I don't really want to fit it and then find it's knackered, but equally I can't really see how to check this sort of thing without fitting it. And I certainly don't want to take it apart if possible.

I have tried putting it into gear while rotating the input shaft from the bellhousing and the output shaft does seem to turn. I did manage to get it into what seemed like reverse too, but the main gear lever is not attached and I only have the cup on the end of the selector shaft to try to change gear with (if that makes sense). I will be fitting the main lever probably tonight so that should help with gear selection.

The gearbox looks in good condition externally and the output shaft has no wear on it at all so I would really like to use it if possible.

Cheers

I think that you would need to couple it up to something that will rotate the input shaft at a fair rate and be able to stop it to 'change gear' simulating depressing the clutch. Or, just get someone to rotate the shaft slowly, find all the gears and see if they engage by 'feel' or remove the inspection plate, if there is one and look at the gears whilst 'selecting' them. Never had cause to 'test' a gearbox so I'm only thinking aloud really.

I know what you mean, I have never had to test anything like this before, but when the bloke says it won't go into gear you have to wonder what that means. I only bought it for the linkage as I am going to convert a Discovery R380 to have the Defender selector but as it looked so much better than I imagined it would be ideal to use it if possible.

I bet there is nowt wrong with it and I am just being paranoid, but you just never know. And the way my luck is at the moment...

I am going to have a good look at the weekend and see what happens.

It could be that one of the synchros is buggered. The R380 that is currently in my 110 won't change from 5th to 4th, you have to nudge 3rd then it will go into 4th. Whilst stationary it will go into any gear.

Apparently quite a common fault on early R380's and is mentioned on Ashcrofts FAQ http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=218

Outwardly my knackered gearbox 'looks' fine.

Anyway to test a gearbox surely you need to be driving the output shaft of the gearbox as it would be if you were driving along with the clutch depressed about to change gear.

I took the top off the quadrant bit and noticed that the little grub screw was almost out! So fitted that back in with thread lock and tested all gears as best as I could while rotating the input shaft. All looks good!!