buying a p38

dark-night

Hi guys,

I'm after some advice on buying a p38, I know my series and 90s very well as I used to compete in them as well as use as a daily driver, but now I'm after a bit more comfort.

I did have about 3_4 classic rangys that I had nothing but problems with, so bad in fact we vowed never to buy another range rover.........

But the force is strong with these and we would like to chance a p38. My questions I know are a bit dependant on car of course but on the whole is the p38 a better buy? What things should I look out for? I'm not that worried about if it has air bag suspension or coils, as I think they get some bad press and aren't that bad, but what do you think?

Thanks for your time :)

If you think classics are bad multiply by 10 then you have a P38

You can,t fix them yourself with out the software and most of the electronics are linked.

Had mine 21/2 years great drive but never trusted it so gone back to a classic with a 300TDI, which I can fix cheaply.

Best of luck if you do buy one lots of motor for not much money.

Yes the p38 can be unreliable as people don't keep to expensive service schedule. Don't know about diesels but as for petrols -

4.0 can be a bit pedestrian but 4.6 goes alright, get as low a mileage as poss and as much service history as you can.

Look for:

Wet carpets- drivers side=leaky heater matrix o-rings (big dash strip out job), passenger side= blocked ac drain.

Book symbol on hvac control - most likely knackered blend motors, again dash strip out job.

Any signs of overheating - lots of horror stories ref slipped liners.

AES faults - usually caused by leaks in system which in turn cause compressor to fail as it runs harder to keep up.

Make sure you get at least one remote key that works (nearly £200 for new one) pref two. Go through all electrics and make sure everything works, especially the security system and door locks. Gearbox should be smooth and have had regular fluid & filter changes, if not walk away.

Budget for a diagnostic device of some sort, early trucks are not obd compliant so you need something specific to the truck, bbs or hawkeye seems favourite. You will also probably need a new battery from the outset, get one anyway, it will solve anumber of issues! Also download rave and learn how to use it.

You should be able to get 12 to14 mpg round town and 20 to 24+ on the motorway.

The P38 is no less serviceable on your drive than a defender - a lot more electrics but it is all repairable, there are known faults and also known fixes, check out www.rangerovers.net for more info.

Dave.

Wow, thanks for the posts guys, and the great list Dave.

I assumed these would be better than the classics, but I guess I'm wrong there, by the sound of it I may be better with a disco even though I don't like the look of them. I do need reliability as it will be a daily driver and tow vehicle, again thanks for tour comments

You can get a hell of a lot of car for your money and all the problems are known about and usually have proven fixes. As long as you can diagnose and do the work yourself they aren't that bad. At least it wont rot out from under you!

Get one that's had a sequential lpg conversion and even fuel costs are 'almost' reasonable.

Take your time and get the very best you can afford - plenty of dealer history and a loving owner.

Go on - you know you want to.

I have had/got two. The first a 2000 Vogue lasted 9 months on the road before the electronics went crazy having changed the engine repaired the compressor and changed the rear air bags. The second I bought for peanuts and have changed the engine (knew this before I bought) and so far 2 months in seems a very nice car. My advice after the first was don't buy another P38 but I loved it so much to drive that i could not help myself. :rtfm::hysterical:

Rot won,t leave you at the side of the road waiting for the RAC man and then the tow truck.

There are good ones out there but you need to spend spend spend to keep them that way.

I don,t like the look of a disco but look at what good ones are fetching!

Had a Disco 2 for a year now and just spent double what I paid for it because the chassis was rotten. Should have scrapped it and started again. Pros and cons with the Disco and the P38. I like both for different reasons and once i have all the bugs out of my P38 I think I will have a very good car. (And probably be bankrupt :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: )

Any car is the same - if you don't look after it, recognise the early signs of trouble and keep on top of it them then over time problems will bite you in ghe backside. The majority of P38 problems stem from owners not repairing minor faults due to dealer prices or it being 'electrical'. Yes you can be unlucky and suffer a porous block, slipped liner or any number of death blows but you pays your money and takes the risk - The same can be said of any high mileage second hand car.

At 160k and 18 years old I have managed to service and repair my truck on my own on my drive and it hasn't left me stranded yet, unlike my 90 which blew a headgasket 120m from home.

When I said Disco I men,t a disco 1.

<br /><br />Had a Disco2 before my P38, worst car I,ve ever owned. Not on reliability but ever think else.<br /><br />

Expensive parts, slow, drank fuel,noisey,and dam uncomfable. could go on!<br /><br />

In the 21/2 years I had my P38 I replaced the air bags pump,heater blend motors and o rings,fuel pump,radiator.<br /><br />

In the 9 years I had my 3.9 classic I only had to due service items.

When I said Disco I men,t a disco 1.

<br /><br />Had a Disco2 before my P38, worst car I,ve ever owned. Not on reliability but ever think else.<br /><br />

Expensive parts, slow, drank fuel,noisey,and dam uncomfable. could go on!<br /><br />

In the 21/2 years I had my P38 I replaced the air bags pump,heater blend motors and o rings,fuel pump,radiator.<br /><br />

In the 9 years I had my 3.9 classic I only had to due service items.

My Disco 2 is no slouch and I get 26 MPG around town and 30+ on a run. The leather is very comfortable and having rebuilt the brakes, suspension and replaced the chassis and steering linkages it drives very well. Cost me a fortune mind you but it should last me for a number of years.