Stage One Uprated Halfshafts. I'm getting some made.

RobotMan

Not sourced the shafts yet still on the hunt will have a measure and send you lengths and specs will take a couple of days as I'm not about for a bit.

The plan was to use defender ones but they are too long and the splines not long enough. Kam was an option if they have longer splines but yet to look into it just wanted the diff centre sorted and fitted for the upgrade at a later date. Still not 100 it will be strong enough option 2 is 30 spline shafts from the states which is ball ache for stubs but once sorted pretty much unbearable on 33 inch tyres

I'm thinking I may do some cut and shut shafts to get me going whilst waiting for the proper shafts. They can be emergency spares later.

They will be more than fine for road and mud use. It's the crawling that did for them.

I have plenty of olduns here if you need. I'm going to make up a mock up set for the front series axle. Still not started fitting defender stubs or Cv's yet still building the series. just managed to put the fuel tank mount and battery mount in finally. Trying to get a mega wide angle short propshaft for the salisbury on an 80 inch EEK! Also depending on how good a prop i can get I'm looking at extended lengths of rear shocks because I can get seriously mega ammounts of rear end flex (assuming the propshaft remain within limits).

On the hunt for data I guess I'll have to just measure my Pro comps and see if I can find an alternative cheap longer shock. Pitty you can't run defender rear shocks upside down because they would fit perfect as mine has extra top pin mounts.

When I mentioned to Ashcroft last time I was up there I was told HTP gears or something like that. I know it wasnt HPC Gears I'd have remembered that as i have used them before for something else. I couldn't find anything like that online. I just picked up some ashcroft front shafts for my 90 and a 4 pin genuine 90 rear diff built into a 3.5 housing ready to go. Pisser is have no use for it being 3.5 all my motors are 4.7:1 even my 90. Guess I may aswell sell it complete and get some cash for a second set of shafts.

Ok to keep costs down does anyone know what shaft Kam do in their aerospace range that has the longer diff splines on it? We might be able to cut or shorten slowly with lots of coolant to the correct length for a series application. I know my older Kam non areospace shafts has the shorter shaft with the extended splines fof their locker. Thoughts?? £124 each we may only need to get one side made and one machined???

Actually, And I'm not 100% sure of this, BUT 99%, the short shaft for a defender/RRC is the same length as a stage one! I have a halfshaft with twisted splines that me and my brother removed from his stage one many moons ago, and we are both convinced it is the one we have in our hands now. And comparing it to the one I just took out of the RRC it is exactly the same length. So if we could somehow have this confirmed, you could just buy, say and Ashcroft short side halfshaft (If he sells them separately), so you only have to get the long one made?

Actually, And I'm not 100% sure of this, BUT 99%, the short shaft for a defender/RRC is the same length as a stage one! I have a halfshaft with twisted splines that me and my brother removed from his stage one many moons ago, and we are both convinced it is the one we have in our hands now. And comparing it to the one I just took out of the RRC it is exactly the same length. So if we could somehow have this confirmed, you could just buy, say and Ashcroft short side halfshaft (If he sells them separately), so you only have to get the long one made?

The stage one shaft is 400mm. The spline can be cut into the left over meat behind the skinny spine.

• 2 months later...

hi i know its an old(ish) thread,

but have you got the shafts yet?

i need to get some front inner shafts for my truck, ill need to take some measurements of my shafts and axles to come to a conclusion on the lengths,

but basically i am running a series axle with coiler hubs and RRc swivel balls and a 20mm or so spacer adaptor, i need coiler shafts to fit inside the swivel housing as its smaller than the series UJ.

hi i know its an old(ish) thread,

but have you got the shafts yet?

i need to get some front inner shafts for my truck, ill need to take some measurements of my shafts and axles to come to a conclusion on the lengths,

but basically i am running a series axle with coiler hubs and RRc swivel balls and a 20mm or so spacer adaptor, i need coiler shafts to fit inside the swivel housing as its smaller than the series UJ.

I went back to the firm and got all my Stage One, broken Rakeway Shaft, CVs and DIff parts back.

I have now ordered a set of 300M (S155) shafts from http://www.berrisford.co.uk/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=mis0ia5jdrced1vq8id33931p5 At £160+VAT+ Delivery each.

If you order them now he will have everything needed to make up 24/23 shafts bar the lengths for yours. I'm having my ends made up with the oil seal land as per coiler not Stage-One as that's how it is set-up now and I won't need to change it over. It is just the pressed diaphragm that holds the oil seal flipped over.

Rob.