New to a discovery - a couple of questions

Steve Warman

Hi,

I've recently bought myself a 300tdi ES which is a far cry from my old truck of a 2.5l petrol 90....

I have a couple of questions about some of the things on the truck, the first being about a component bolted to the inside wing in the engine bay.

The component looks like some sort of switch or pump but there is a hose attached to the bottom edge, bottom right of the picure. Unfortunately I've noticed, whilst nosing around the engine bay, that the hoses connected to this component is perished as are most of the hoses it's connected to from there.

Sme of the hoses go through to the cab, or at least head that way.

So the question is what is it and what does it do? Then I have to figure out how to change the hoses.

The second question I have is about the tailgate door card. Mine has a large hole surrounded by screws. It looks like it should have a cover or storage tray, it already has one to the left, but I can't find any references to it

Any help is appreciated. I apologise in advance as I'm probably going to have a few questions as I get to grips with the disco

Thanks

Steve

post-4637-0-84238000-1376775903_thumb.jpg

post-4637-0-89410800-1376775923_thumb.jpg

Maybe cruise control? Not seen it on a Tdi, so not sure what it looks like but as it appears to have a Tdi type throttle cable attached to it, that is my guess.

The hole in the back door is where the subwoofer speaker used to live.

That is the original cruise control vacuum operator. Without the pipes the cruise control won't work. The hole in the back door is for a subwoofer, these often failed and were removed but you might find a working second hand one, is the original head unit fitted? A lot of people remove them because they can't figure out how to make it work with an aftermarket head unit.

Thanks all,

It could well be the cruise control as I have the rest of the buttons and switches but it doesn't seem to work so will look at replacing them at some time

The head unit for the radio isn't an original so the dashboard volume switches don't work either but I will keep my eye out for a sub woofer to fill the hole if nothing else.

Any ideas how to make all these work with an after market head unit?

Thanks again