Advice request: buying a 12 seater

PZE

Hello LR4x4. I hope this is a good place to come with this question, but please do point me elsewhere if not... I wondered if anyone could give me advice on what to look for when buying a 12 seater 110. I'm hoping to get one just to use around west Cornwall as good way to get plenty of people to harder-to-reach beaches. It doesn't need to be especially comfortable and will probably never meet a motorway, so being reasonably functional for half-hour journeys is about all that's required.

The majority of the vehicles I've seen for sale as 12 seaters seem to be from about D-reg to R-reg (I guess that safety rules for the rear seats intervened some time in the late 90s). Are there any particularly good/bad models years, trim levels and so on to look at? I have a basic knowledge of what to look for as far as rot and rust is concerned but wouldn't be confident picking up all mechanical problems myself; is it possible to arrange professional inspections or is the only safe bet to buy from a restorer/dealer? Finally (any more questions will just display more of my ignorance I think), what would be a sensible budget to get hold of something that is reasonably sound and does the job - I'm happy spending sensible money on maintenance each year but would rather pay more upfront rather than immediately get hit with multiple major repair bills.

I hope makes some kind of sense as a question - any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Hello.

I have a 1986 110 csw 2.5 na (no turbo) 12 seats. Mine being 86 it has no rear seat belts . Bought about 10/11 years ago and done what was asked of it at that time.

I now know a 200/300 tdi would have been better, cost a bit more but better engine wise.

12 seats is not what they are, middle front useless and the back 6 are only 3+3 bench type not much room for equipment if 6 adults stuffed in. I would put them a 9 seat with light equipment.

Go for a 300 it will have disc rear axle, but if you can't find one a 200 will do. Mine only had drums on the rear but I have changed to disc easier worked on. Would a commercial 110 do you if it's not going to be on the road?

Pricewise check all the mags/internet to see what 110s are going for.

Happy hunting

to legally drive a 12 seat 110 the driver must be 21 or older.

IIRC around the mid 1990's 12 seaters went to special order only, 9 & 10 seat models are more common.

do you really need the 12 seats ? when fully occupied there is no room for any luggage or other kit.

Thanks all for the responses.

to legally drive a 12 seat 110 the driver must be 21 or older.

IIRC around the mid 1990's 12 seaters went to special order only, 9 & 10 seat models are more common.

do you really need the 12 seats ? when fully occupied there is no room for any luggage or other kit.

How does the seating break down? 12 seater obviously 3 front, 3 middle and 2 bench seats of 3; 11 seater I guess that with just 2 up front. Does a 10-seater have 2 bench seats only seating 2, and a 9 seater the same but no centre front seat?

12 seats is pretty useful for chugging as many people down to the beach as possible but probably not a dealbreaker vs 10. I was thinking that a full length roof rack with a tarp and a few bungies would do the job for piling beach bags etc on top along with the odd kayak, so no real need for any internal luggage space in that config.

factory 12 seater as my 110CSW was bulit.

3 in front [individual seats]

3 in rear front facing seats [individual seats]

2 x 3 man side facing bench seats in rear load bay, mine was never factory fitted with seatbelts for these,

but later 12/11/10/9 seat models are.

11 seater has a cubby box in front centre, this seat is virtually unusable anyway.

10 seater had 2 man bench seat or 4 individual seats in loadbay all side facing [with or without seatbelts]

9 seater had cubby box in front centre, 3 in centre & either 2 x 2 man bench seats or 4 individual seats in loadbay.

newer vehicles only have 7 seats to comply with newer laws regarding seatbelts & front facing seats.

roof rack would be fine for lightweight bags, there is a max roof load limit to be aware of & with weight high up handling differences too.